Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 80GB HD on my system right now that is partitioned into 2 40 GB partitions.

How can I get the 2 partitions back to just 1?

Originally I had used the 2nd partition for storage of documents, music, videos and downloads etc. I have since upgraded and bought a 120 GB HD to use as storage along with my 80GB.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Its pretty easy, the only concern is that you will lose all of your data on your hard drive. You might be able to buy a program to partition and save it, but I would plan on losing everything.

If you are using XP, you can boot the computer with the XP CD, and configure the hard drive with the setup program.

If you are using anything else, there is a file on your computer called
"Fdisk" that you can use. It is a dos-style program. You can copy it to a floppy disk along with the format program (both programs are located in the c:\windows\command\ folder). Just make sure that whatever operating system you use will be bootable with the CD. If you copy those programs to a bootable floppy disk, you can use it to reformat the drive.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping for an easy solution but I guess I am out of luck there. I will just re-install my OS with just 1 partition. I have all of my files on my 120 GB secondary drive at this point so wiping the 80GB drive clean and starting over is not a big deal.

·
0 Posts
Partition magic can do what you want. it will relocate your files into the new partition!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts