Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what you guys do when you park? I normally have the handbrake on and leave my car in 2nd gear. Obviously this only applies in Manual tranny.

Am I at the risk of wrecking something? I have done this all the time for almost 3 years now

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
On my manual, I put it in neutral w/parking brake set. On my auto, I put it in neutral, set the brake, then put it in park.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
natskiboy said:
I was wondering what you guys do when you park? I normally have the handbrake on and leave my car in 2nd gear. Obviously this only applies in Manual tranny.

Am I at the risk of wrecking something? I have done this all the time for almost 3 years now
The manual says 1st or reverse. I believe that the idea is to leave it in the shortest gear possible as that is hardest to move when stop so it will act like a parking brake. You should also leave the parking brake on.

I think you would be better in 1st or reverse than 2nd

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I always leave it in 1st gear and put the handbrake on. There is no risk of wrecking something if you leave the car in gear. There is more risk if you leave it in neutral because the car could roll away on its own. Uphill or downhill doesn't matter, as long as the car is in gear it won't roll away.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
For automatics: I notice that it's pretty easy to roll or rock the car back and forth a few inches if you just lean against the bumper with the car in park but without the handbrake on. I imagine this is bad for the tranny or axle, especially when parked on a hill. Am I right?

·
Registered
195 Posts
I leave it in 1st, no e-brake unless I'm on a hill. Comes from years of living in upstate NY where your rusty e-brake cables would freeze in place during the winter.
N

·
Registered
776 Posts
NVL said:
I leave it in 1st, no e-brake unless I'm on a hill. Comes from years of living in upstate NY where your rusty e-brake cables would freeze in place during the winter.
N
Same - I grew up in north-eastern British Columbia where a frozen brake cable was always very expensive to fix, so first gear (reverse if facing down hill) and no e-brake.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Petra Passat said:
NVL said:
N
Same - I grew up in north-eastern British Columbia where a frozen brake cable was always very expensive to fix, so first gear (reverse if facing down hill) and no e-brake.
So you moved to Calgary where it is warmer??? :wink:

·
Registered
773 Posts
I put it in 1st gear and with clutch depressed and right foot on brakes, I cut engine. I then pull hand brake and let go of brake pedal, then clutch. I also turn sterring wheel to 11 o-clock before cutting eigine so I can lock it easy (1 o-clock also works).

·
Registered
776 Posts
Jesstzn said:
Petra Passat said:
NVL said:
N
So you moved to Calgary where it is warmer??? :wink:
:roll: Yeah, at least here the chinooks bring the temperature above 0 C, up there the odd chinook we got only brought the temperature up to the negative single digits.

·
Registered
103 Posts
NVL wrote:
N
My limited experience has been that the e-brake cable has a tendancy to sieze when it is rarely used rather than frequently used.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
JDigga said:
I usually park in 1st gear when flat or uphill, and reverse when downhill. My logic is if the handbrake were to somehow fail, then the transmission would keep the car from rolling away.
my thoughts exactly, i've been doing this since day one

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think 1st, 2nd, and Reverse act as the "park" gear in the automatic trannies... if you leave it in any other gear, the pin does not engage to lock the front wheel. And of course the emergency brake is the back up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I leave it in whatever gear i was it when i parked and always pull the ebrake. Even if i am driveing a different car with a foot ebrake out of habit i always go to pull the ebrake when i park.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
19 Participants
Marylandv6b599
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing