Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm not talkin' about Paris Hilton, either!

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...&e=1&u=/nm/20040609/od_nm/life_france_suvs_dc

Excerpt:
PARIS (Reuters) - Bulky four-by-fours could be banned from clogging up the chic streets of Paris after a top official in the capital's left-wing government described them as a polluting "caricature of a car" unsuited to city life.

An anti-sports utility vehicle (SUV) resolution passed by the city council could lead to a ban on the popular vehicles in about 18 months if it is included in an overall project to improve traffic flow in the city, Deputy Mayor Denis Baupin said Wednesday.

"You have to wonder why people want to drive around in SUVs," Baupin, a Greens party member, said on Europe 1 radio.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,154 Posts
IDriveB5 said:
i wish theyd do that over here. terribly worthless machines. :thumbdow:
How so ? we have one, and it fits out need just fine ...

Thinking about getting another one ... FULL size this time !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,396 Posts
My dad was in Oxford on business, and had a Focus (compact), and had problems driving around the streets. There was barely enough room for his car to fit, and he could see all sorts of damage to parked cars because of vehicles driving through that would bang into them. :weirdo: :nervous:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
he could see all sorts of damage to parked cars because of vehicles driving through that would bang into them.
Ahhh, just like Boston!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,154 Posts
Altair 4 said:
he could see all sorts of damage to parked cars because of vehicles driving through that would bang into them.
Ahhh, just like Boston!
Been there many times, it's much worst :nervous: ... Unless you live in Houston where the roads are nice & wide open, Paris would be a night mare to manuver a Passat much less an Escalade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
What a horribly rediculous idea, banning SUV's. This is why their economy sucks and they have such high taxes...wild socialist ideas. Banning the Big Mac name was stupid enough.

Perhaps they are just mad because they aren't getting under the table money from Iraq anymore.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,788 Posts
Antoddio said:
Perhaps they are just mad because they aren't getting under the table money from Iraq anymore.
Yeah, they're mad at VP Cheney cuz now he's getting that under the table money. :p

Anyway, giant SUVs on European narrow city streets are about as practical as a third nut.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,723 Posts
it's unfortunate to see our "bigger is better" attitude spreading overseas, eventhough gas is twice the price there.
It's smart that the government is taking steps towards these hazzardous and wasteful vehicles.

I drive an Aprilia scooter 6 days of the week and I spend a dollar on gas each week -- the amount I save in gas and parking will pay for the scooter in two years!
It's also fun to get around town too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,832 Posts
I remember last time I was in Paris ....In rush hour on the big boulevard in front of my hotel, I watched from the window as an ambulance sat in gridlock for about half and hour as it inched to the next intersection.... With it's siren blaring the whole time

BEEEboooo BEEEEboooo...

It couldn't move, and nobody else could either... I always wonder what happened.

:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,628 Posts
Now I just wish our country would do that!


I cringe when I see my 13 MPG record on my F150. But I have to have it for camping and my CNC shop. Eh, if I sold my shop, I'd tow my puny little camper with my W8!


SUV's make me angry. Soccer Moms attack!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,746 Posts
I'll save myself a lot of headache and arguing here simply by stating the following: I'll spend my money on a big fat SUV or anything else if I wish, because I can and I want one. That's the beauty inherent in the design of freedom, capitalism, free markets and economic growth. And if I want to drive it down the streets of Manhattan, I promise I'll be careful. But get the hell outta my way, hippies.

SUVs :thumbup:
france :thumbdow:
 

·
6th Grade
Joined
·
14,918 Posts
StattlichPassat said:
I'll save myself a lot of headache and arguing here simply by stating the following: I'll spend my money on a big fat SUV or anything else if I wish, because I can and I want one. That's the beauty inherent in the design of freedom, capitalism, free markets and economic growth. And if I want to drive it down the streets of Manhattan, I promise I'll be careful. But get the hell outta my way, hippies.

SUVs :thumbup:
france :thumbdow:
ME ME ME!!

Bush in '04!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,533 Posts
Sharky said:
StattlichPassat said:
I'll save myself a lot of headache and arguing here simply by stating the following: I'll spend my money on a big fat SUV or anything else if I wish, because I can and I want one. That's the beauty inherent in the design of freedom, capitalism, free markets and economic growth. And if I want to drive it down the streets of Manhattan, I promise I'll be careful. But get the hell outta my way, hippies.

SUVs :thumbup:
france :thumbdow:
ME ME ME!!

Bush in '04!
lol
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top