Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
I’m new. I am not a mechanic. I have a 2000 Passat, 2.8.
I traced a 360 mA parasitic draw to the turn signal system. I pulled the 10A fuse and the drain reduced to 33 mA. I need help tracing the reason for the drain in the circuit. Two strange things occurred after I pulled the fuse. My turn signals still functioned for a while AND my daytime running lights are now functioning, (They weren’t before.). Now the turn signals don’t work without the fuse as expected but the daytimes are still functioning without the fuse.
Has anyone experienced this before? Does anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
I don't see why removing a turn signal fuse would cause the daytime running lights to work, but anyway, try removing the emergency flasher switch from the dash, and check if it feels warm. Your measured current draw would emit about 4 Watts, enough to make that module warm to the touch. If you suspect that it's faulty, a replacement at autohausaz.com is less than $11.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.
Thanks for the reply. I thought it strange too which is why I thought the problem must be in wiring. However, I checked a wiring diagram and I see know crossover with the circuit for the daytimes. If there’s a problem with the module, wouldn’t the turn signals be messed up somehow? All the flashers work fine. I will check it. Is that the module behind the red triangle?

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
Yes, it pries out from the rectangular opening it is in. I would at least take it out then check your current draw again. That module might still work despite having a defective transistor, for instance, that is not shutting current completely off.

·
Registered
9,904 Posts
Fuse #39 10A is for the hazzard lights.
Fuse #2 5A (10A with trailer hitch) is for the turn signals
Which fuse did you remove ?

It is likely that the fault is a short in the Emergency Flasher switch.
And probably a separate fault in the DRL circuit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts