Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am eventually going to nightshade my rear tails like the GTi's. I was just wondering what is the best method to get the the paint to dry evenly. I heard that putting paint in the oven to bake gets it to be very glossy, but i'm not sure i want to take the risk of melting my tail light unit. Would it be better to just blow dry it? I thought this could be a safer way to bake the paint.

-merk20vt-

·
Registered
331 Posts
Well, on a hot summer day, they can get to 120 and maybe more, so 110 degrees should bake it on nicely without warpage.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
Just let it dry naturally. To get it glossy, after the clear coat dries you're going to have to wetsand it and then use a polish to get the high gloss.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
NOOOOOOOOO!!!!

When JonBoy was still a rookie & we all thought we could do it, I tried baking my tails. All I ended up doing was melting them into a pile of goo. JopnBoy DOES have a method of "baking" though. Just send the tails to him & I guearantee you you'll get one badass looking set of taillights,

·
Registered
268 Posts
So you're saying that I shouldn't try it myself. Shizzlenits man. Can you try to do it without baking the paint? Can anyone say heat gun (from far away)? Can I do it without sanding (prep), and wetsanding (finish)? Anyone? Is this mic on?

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
show you how to do it or show you what they look like?

I also had my bumpermarkers and sidemarkers tinted...

jonboy's cheesy skills.

also check out roxyb5, eberleb, ajchenmph, and COUNTLESS other's who have had jonboy's work done.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
<recalling previous newbie misfortunes>Bake it! Bake it! Bake it! Bake it!

Then take some 80 grit sandpaper to it to get the inital...</recalling previous newbie misfortunes>

(don't listen to me...go to jonboy :thumbup: )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mario Penna Putobody in Portland Maine can tint lamps and markers. Mario never told me how but he did a great job.

Ya the same shop that did the green two door A3 jetta

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
12 Participants
aufnord
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing