Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i want to paint my caliper RED and i have a silver b5.

I think its gonna look really good, but how hard is it to do, and how should i go about doing this, i search for the topic but there are way to many damn posts.

TY
Digital :bow:

·
Registered
577 Posts
just take off your wheels, put it up on jack stands

garbage bag off your wheel well, rotors, etc

sand EXTENSIVELY

use primer

apply coats as desired

its pretty much common sense, but just make your you cover every thing off well and your sand and prime the crap out of it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
62 Posts
couple of ?s

what kind of/brand of paint?
is it a spray?
how many coats?
does it hold up good?

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
topher said:
couple of ?s

what kind of/brand of paint?
is it a spray?
how many coats?
does it hold up good?
First of all its does it hold up "well" j/k :p
I have heard that the g2 kit is a good one but they do run 40-50 bucks online. The kit does include everything you need to do the job right.
If you choose otherwise let us know how things go. Either way let us know how things go.
Good Luck

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I did mine a year ago and after one winter when I put on my alloys a week ago I gave them a cleaning and a touch up coat and they look like this

I took off the wheel, used a wire wheel/brush to clean the caliper then wiped it down with Brakleen. I masked the rotor and tucked an old sheet around the suspendion parts and draped it up over the car.

I used Plasti-Kote caliper paint and applied a coat then hit it with the hair dryer and repeated 3 times. bout 20 min per wheel.

Paint was $8 can up here.. used 3/4 of a can for all 4 calipers.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Maybe a really stupid question.....but i noticed that the back of the brake pad it painted too when people painted their calipers......are you supposed to avoid that part or does everyone paint those too???

1 - 13 of 13 Posts