Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife has been bugging me, for a few years, to paint the last 3 walls in our house that have yet been untouched. The walls in question are 20 feet high in our living room. That alone is why they have not been touched.

She is out of town this week and my daughter and I are painting the walls finally for a surprise when she gets home Thursday night. Spent about 4 hours last night getting one wall done.

I remember now how much I actually enjoy painting. Kind of fun to be up on a ladder 20 feet up :crazy: .

Another wall to be complete tonight. Last wall will be a doozy. The wall is where our staircase is and I still haven't figured out how to get up that wall. Can't just use the ladder as the stairs are in the way.

To give a mental picture, the stairs are a straight run with the wall in question to the right and open to the living room on the left with a railing.

Any ideas how to tackle it???????

·
Registered
26 Posts
Safest bet would be to rent scaffolding - you might get it for a 4-block for pretty cheap - diamond rental or the like.

Otherwise you may construct your own 'level' which would allow the ladder to be used on the stairwell.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
a roller on the end of an extension pole works for me. stick an edging pad on the end of the pole for cutting in. no ladders or scaffolding needed.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions.

Don't think that scaffolding will be in my future. Not enough time to get that figured out. I have an extension for my roller. Just not long enough to get the highest parts right above the incline of the stairs. I've tried those edging pads before and didn't like them. Made more of a mess than just myself cutting in.

This is all me just thinking about it, might be OK once I get started and maybe figure something out along the way.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
instead of dipping the edging pad into a pan of paint, use a paintbrush to "paint" the pad with paint, then apply the pad to the wall...much cleaner that way. it takes longer, but it keeps things neat and clean.

does the extension pole accept another extension on the end?

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. So i finished painting tonight. Well not completely. There is about 10 sq ft worth of wall space that I just could not get to and the very top of the wall for cutting in. I rolled up as far as I could. Not bad. I need about another 6 feet worth of extension. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Was actually able get the worst part of it with my ladder angled just so over the railing.

·
Registered
26,011 Posts
You want to come over and finish mine? I will have the same problem over
the stairs this summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
PZ
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing