Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Decided to have some fun this past weekend and paint my son's rims and calipers... Just bought this 99 Passat about a month ago and the rims were not in the best shape... Lots of scratches, signs of rust starting and just generally not pleasant to look at... My son mentioned something about getting some new black rims for it so I decided to refinish them over the weekend for him... Turned out pretty good. He's happy with them so mission accomplished...

Pics taken with my iphone so quality is not the best...

Started with this after heavy cleaning and power washer -

After sanding with 100 grit sponge then follow up with 320 grit -

Cleaned one more time and power washed then taped them up to get ready for primer -

Primer is on -

While primer drys time to get calipers ready for paint -

And caliper painted -

Next morning calipers finished -

First coat of color to rims -

Time for clear cloat -

Can't forget the center caps -

Second and final coat of clear coat -

Done -

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,149 Posts
Not in any way a fan of the "floating in air" black wheels look from the 90's, but it looks like you did a much better job than most. Would have masked off the VW emblems, though... Anyway, Enjoy!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I didn't get pics of the center caps before the painting started but some of the VW emblems were all coroated and I decided to sand them down and paint over them so we could at least have that VW embossed look....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pads are going to be replaced soon so wasn't worried about that... Springs painted, well some do some don't.. It was easier so that's why those were painted...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Thats a cool dad if you ask me. (+1) for the job well done

I think he might have wanted to bump up the size with new rims but you might have tied him over for a few days minimum!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I explained to him, new rims cost him $400 - $600 of his hard earned McDonalds money. He goes up in rim size we are adding on the cost of new tires as well... Or dad can refinish them for free of charge... He was happy to have dad do it.. But yes I believe it to be temporary as well but now that he knows how much it will cost he's happy to make due with what he has for awhile...

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Pads are going to be replaced soon so wasn't worried about that... Springs painted, well some do some don't.. It was easier so that's why those were painted...
Ok, but when you replace the pads soon the springs have to come off, and the paint job will be marred. You took a lot of time it seems with all Rotherham aspects of this job. Just hope this shortcut doesnt turn around and bite you too bad.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,195 Posts
Good job, dad. I hope to be as involved with my son's car care when the time comes. He's 8 now but hooked on dubs. It'll be hard for me not to buy him wheels.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 14 of 14 Posts