Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hole in my flex pipe...I think :confused:...or on the down-pipe itself since its pretty much rusted out, going to replace the down-pipe altogether:wrench:.

But I was thinking maybe to coat the new pipe with this high temp paint VHT FlameProof™ Coating to avoid it rusting this bad again?

Has anyone ever painted their exhaust, is this a good or bad idea?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Isn't stainless steel a lot more expensive?
it is more $$ but in my opinion its worth it! My exhaust was falling apart and i replaced it with tectonics tuning 2.5 inch cat back system with borla mufflers. I have been running this for about two years and it has held up great. I plan to run my passat into the ground and i don't anticipate having to work on it again. just inspected it on the lift a few weeks ago and it looks perfect. it did cost me a pretty penny though.

·
I had a steering knuckle in my shed. Really!
4,159 Posts
Problem with paint is that it's only on the outside. Exhaust is mostly water vapor and CO2. This water vapor will rust your painted exhaust from the inside out. So painting the exhaust may slow down the external corrosion, but stainless will still far outlast it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Problem with paint is that it's only on the outside. Exhaust is mostly water vapor and CO2. This water vapor will rust your painted exhaust from the inside out. So painting the exhaust may slow down the external corrosion, but stainless will still far outlast it.
Very true about the internal moisture rusting exhaust systems from the insides out. However, the pipe section themselves don't usually trap water and typically last a longer than mufflers and resonators that do tend to trap moisture and not evaporate that moisture as quickly. Every rusted through exhaust I've had was in the muffler itself.

I think painting the downpipe wil work just fine as a way to add a lot of longevity. A stainless system is by far the best route if your funds can stretch to one....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Techtonics Tuning has an aluminized exhaust as well. Slightly cheaper solution. Same Borla muffler. They also have a downpipe, I'm not sure if it comes with the exhaust or not, but the DP comes with a flex section. Techtonics Tuning Passat Exhaust Page.

Matt :taz:
When a system is advertised as cat-back, it should be from the cat back in my mind. Those TT systems are really only dowpipe-back, you still need a downpipe from the cat to make a true cat-back system.

I know a lot of cars have a cat in the middle-ish section of the car and those TT systems for the Passat would be cat-back on those cars. I still think a lot of people would blow the flex joint on any type of downpipe (stainless, anodized or simply plain steel) before the actual pipe is lost to corrosion.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some good Info here!

Stainless steel is for sure the way to go, but...for right now being on a bit of a budget, I have to go with a "cheapy". So maybe by painting it, it can last a bit longer until I save up for a new exhaust system all together.

It will defiantly take a good couple years to rust completely through again plus the flex-pipe tearing a few times along the way, so I'm not expecting this to be anywhere near a fully rustproof solution especially if it rusts from the inside out like some of you guys were talking about. But if it can slow down the corrosion...its worth a shot right?

Might use it on my BBQ too haha
Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
4,426 Posts
The VHT high temp works very well. I have it on my turbine housing, manifold, downpipe and wastegate tubing and it's holding up at about a year's worth of use. Just make sure that you've prepped the surfaces well, as that will make a big difference.

FYI, the VHT caliper paint is also phenomenal. I used it on just about everything other than the manifold/turbo/exhaust and it's held up like a champ.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The VHT high temp works very well. I have it on my turbine housing, manifold, downpipe and wastegate tubing and it's holding up at about a year's worth of use. Just make sure that you've prepped the surfaces well, as that will make a big difference.

FYI, the VHT caliper paint is also phenomenal. I used it on just about everything other than the manifold/turbo/exhaust and it's held up like a champ.
X2

Mr. T showed it to me one day and I haven't had to look for anything else. It stays on great even through all the salt and crap they put on the roads.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts