Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm looking for some paint to paint my rotors with, I'm sick of them looking all dull and gray, especially since I can see them straight through my rims.

Does anyone have any advice on what kind of paint to use or anything like that?

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Are you talking about your rotors or your calipers? :suspicio: If you want to paint your calipers, there's a few "caliper paint" kits available online (foliatek comes to mind), or just use a high-temp automotive paint and high-temp clearcoat.

You can paint the hats on your rotors using the same stuff, but I dont' see how long it would last..... :crazy:

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
Whoa, you can't paint the face of your rotors; i.e. area of the rotor which makes direct contact with the brakepads!!! However you can paint the rotor hats and calipers with a good high-temperature paint or clear-coat. BBQ Grill paint, G2, and Ultra Performance's Folliatec are excellent High-Temperature (1200 degrees) paints.

I always paint my rotor hats silver because brown rust doesn't look good with the BBS. I decided against painting my calipers because I plan on upgrading to a BBK as soon as one is made available. Here's a few websites which go over the process.

http://www.volvospeed.com/Mods/rotor_painting.htm (Rotor Hats)

http://seangordon1.tripod.com/caliperinstall.html (Calipers)

http://www.angelfire.com/ab/jkrew/calipers.html (Calipers)

Good luck..

·
Registered
331 Posts
I had always thought that I wanted to "spray" my paint on. Boy, I'm glad I didn't. I ordered the caliper paint from TireRack, in red. I put the car up on 4 stands, took the rims off, and got down to work.

First I used this time to get rid of some of the casting lines on the calipers with a grinder. I then used a wire brush drill bit in my corded drill. I did all this with everthing still on the car. I'm a mechanic virgin, and I wasn't aboout to take anything apart. Anyway, after using the supplied cleaner, I got everything ready for the epoxy.

After I had painted on the first coat, I thought, "Oh, shit...what have I done," cuz it look like shit. But after the rest of the coats it looked awesome. Kind of like fingernail polish...very thick and the more you put on it, the better it looks.

I left it up on the stands for the prescribed 24 hours and bingo! Sweet calipers! If I can do it...anybody can.
Good luck!

BTW, I think the yellow paint looks great on the darker cars, and the red on the lighter cars. Just my opinion. 8)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had always thought that I wanted to "spray" my paint on. Boy, I'm glad I didn't. I ordered the caliper paint from TireRack, in red. I put the car up on 4 stands, took the rims off, and got down to work.

First I used this time to get rid of some of the casting lines on the calipers with a grinder. I then used a wire brush drill bit in my corded drill. I did all this with everthing still on the car. I'm a mechanic virgin, and I wasn't aboout to take anything apart. Anyway, after using the supplied cleaner, I got everything ready for the epoxy.

After I had painted on the first coat, I thought, "Oh, shit...what have I done," cuz it look like shit. But after the rest of the coats it looked awesome. Kind of like fingernail polish...very thick and the more you put on it, the better it looks.

I left it up on the stands for the prescribed 24 hours and bingo! Sweet calipers! If I can do it...anybody can.
Good luck!

BTW, I think the yellow paint looks great on the darker cars, and the red on the lighter cars. Just my opinion.
Tirerack... I'll definitely get my paint from the, because they've been so good to me in the past... I like the Idea of yellow... thanx 8)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
i painted mine yellow. I got one of the caliper paint kits.
Image uploading. Refresh page to view

i think it looks hot, but when i get a BBK it seems like the popular option is using porche red calipers so i will have to repaint my rears red.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jeffsu350 said:
i painted mine yellow. I got one of the caliper paint kits.

i think it looks hot, but when i get a BBK it seems like the popular option is using porche red calipers so i will have to repaint my rears red.
That's awesome I like the look and of course the rims... Mille Miglias are the way to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts