Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went to buy a car, I got caught up in the fantastic mileage for the diesel Passat and did not do a good job of negotiating. They only offered me $8,800 for a Honda Minivan that I later learned should have 'traded in' at over $10,000. I feel like they took advantage of me.

· Moderator/Administrator
26,198 Posts
Unfortunately, if you let them, they will. It's in their best interest. They love trades, it's the easiest way to make a fast buck. I got $2k more for my A4 when I traded in than what they wanted to originally give me. Welcome to Passatworld.

· Registered
110 Posts
Welcome, as a former car salesman, I am sorry. Some are sleazier than others. Also realize "should have traded for on the internet" doesn't translate well to real life demands. Until AutoTrader/KBB put a "buy your trade in button" they should only be used as a tool/reference.

Give us some information on your new TDI though!

· Registered
40 Posts
When we were buying our 2103 Passat, the dealer neglected to inform us there was a $5,000 discount for cash! Good thing I spotted it online. Must say, they were very sheep-ish when I went back! Claimed the sales person was new and just forgot!

· Registered
4 Posts
I hate car dealerships. They are notorious for being sleezy. You have to be knowledgeable in all areas, financing, purchase, trade in, negotiating technique, and add-on pitch denial or they will take you to the cleaners.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.