Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am wondering this is the right place to ask this kind of question but I am having trouble with the P2096 code. Recently I changed flex pipe and Bank 1 Sensor 1 O2 Sensor. And I am getting this code and it does not go away. The sensor I got is the one below from Bosch.

It seems it should be compatible with the original one but I am wondering I am getting this code because the sensor I replaced with is not a genuine O2 sensor?

Please see what I am reading from my reader above. Bank 1 Sensor 1 fails due to the high value of 1.24 and I don't know that much about these values. I am wondering if anyone of you can understand what it means.

My car is 2003 Passat GLS V6 Fwd 4dr Wagon (2.8L 6cyl 5A)

Thank you for all your help.

bigevent

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Your code is for B1S2, the back sensor. I don't know why it shows that code with the readings you have posted. What code reader are you using?
It's usually due to a leaking exhaust flex pipe, but it could be a defective primary or secondary O2 sensor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi PZ,

Thank you for getting back to me. I am using foseal scanner below and using OBD fusion app from Iphone.

Here is a quick summary of what happened last two months.

1. It has been loud noise when accelerate and I noticed that it was from the flex pipe on the Bank 1 side. I went to my mechanic to replace the flex pipe on April 29th.
  2. After replacing it, in two three days these codes came up, P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit and P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response.
  3. I deleted the code to see what happen and these two codes came back, P0140 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected and P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit.
  4. I went back to the same mechanic and he replaced my O2 sensor at Bank 1 Sensor 1 on May 6th. They installed the Bosch Oxygen Sensor Bosch 16073 model.
  5. After a week from the Oxygen Sensor replacement, I got the P2096 code. The mechanic told me it might be related to the Catalytic Converter and I used one bottle of the catalytic converter cleaner and deleted the code. Since then the same code came up every 5-7 days when I delete the code.
  6. The mechanic thought the Bosch sensor might be defective and he replaced it with another Bosch of the same model(Bosch 16073)
  7. Today I am going to see the mechanic again he thinks it might be related to the catalytic converter. I will let you know what happens.
That is the story. I hope this can give you a clue of what happened. Thank you again for your response and let me know if you have any comments.

bigevent.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
"These codes came up, P0141 O2 Sensor Heater Circuit and P0139 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response."

These 2 codes are for the 2nd O2 sensor, so a new primary may be working, but the output from the 2nd sensor (B1S2) is not working properly. I would have him replace the 2nd sensor.

The software you have is not matching the engine codes. I don't know why it's doing that. I trust the engine codes given by the engine computer more than outside software.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi PZ,

Thank you for your response. I was wrong. The mechanic replaced the B1S2, not the B1S1. I was confused since I have been getting the fail at the B1S1.

Last Thursday, I visited the mechanic again and he installed an extension ring on the B1S2. I don't know how and why but he said sometimes it helps. And yesterday, I got the same P2096 again. I called the mechanic and he told me to visit again. He said he will check online for any possible solution. I told him the possible leaking at the exhaust flex pipe he replaced two months ago as you mentioned in the first response. I also mentioned that someone recommended using the genuine sensor, not the bosch one. I will keep you updated.

Thank you again for your response and let me know if you find any clue on this issue.

Best,

bigevent

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
Hopefully, he can figure out the issue. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Today I went to my mechanic and changed the Bosch Oxygen Sensor to Denso one below.

According to him, the Bosch sensor did not work. Previously, he installed the Bosch and he replaced it with another Bosch again but both did not work. I asked him to use the genuine Oxygen Sensor but he thought Denso will do the job. I hope I this is the last time I need to replace the B1S2 sensor.

Thank you for all your help and advice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It has been 5 days since I got the B1S2 replaced with the Denso product and I got the same P2096 back on yesterday. I am wondering if replacing the Denso with a genuine sensor can help. My mechanic mentioned about bad Catalytic Converter and evaporator and I am not sure if those can cause the P2096. It seems like not an easy solution. I will keep it posted for other's reference regarding the P2096 code.

Thank you PZ and let me know if you have anything to say.

·
Registered
28,337 Posts
The spacer helps with a different code, not a post-cat lean code,which should only come from an air leak into the exhaust.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts