Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the car from the shop and it drove fine for the 1st ride after leaving. The next day the ABS and traction light came on for the first time and then later in the day the CEL came on with a P1340 code. Car is driving fine other than the lights. Mechanic assured me that they counted 16 links between the timing marks, wondering if timing would be the only thing to look at here. Car is a 1.8t with a 5 spd and 235k.

·
Registered
12,080 Posts
Just picked up the car from the shop and it drove fine for the 1st ride after leaving. The next day the ABS and traction light came on for the first time and then later in the day the CEL came on with a P1340 code. Car is driving fine other than the lights. Mechanic assured me that they counted 16 links between the timing marks, wondering if timing would be the only thing to look at here. Car is a 1.8t with a 5 spd and 235k.
P1340 I'd certainly be headed back to the mechanic rather than trying to diagnose it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
If the timing chain was a link off, the code would appear instantly and it you would definitely notice a power loss and rough start/idle, I've done it. I would first check to see that wiring was plugged back in to the Cam sensor. Id also check the timing belt marks.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Yea, shouldvdev put a description. Code description is Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) / Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Incor. Correlation per Ross Tech. First thing I did was pop the hood and make sure the Camshaft Position sensor was plugged back in. Didn't check the actual wiring though as it was raining. Took it back to shop this morning and had them scan it at least, said the right front ABS sensor needs to be replaced and the CPS. Ordering both today to see if that's it. Would hate to have to get the front end pulled again to look at the timing if it goes that route. But if I must..

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there a good way to check the timing with the nose in it's normal position? I tried threading in a tool from Harbor Freight and a 19 mm 12 pt socket but couldn't get it aligned from above to try to turn over. Ended up pushing the car while it was in gear to turn the motor but still pretty hard to see the timing marks on the lower timing belt cover. Thought about sticking a tool down the #1 cylinder but hard to do since I was pushing the car and would be hard to tell.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, going to be doing that next time. Was wondering if easy way to get to the crank bolt from either up top or from below if up of Jack stands or ramps? I was trying to fit in a tool but couldn't seem to get the socket on the bolt.

·
Registered
4,644 Posts
19mm box end wrench might get what you want.

As far ordering a new CPS, unless the old one was damaged I seriously doubt that's the issue. I'd be checking the cam installation and roller count along with the metal cap (trigger ring) inside the CPS housing to make sure it was put on the right way.

And how does somebody surmise the ABS sensor needs replacing just by scanning?

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
19mm box end wrench might get what you want.

As far ordering a new CPS, unless the old one was damaged I seriously doubt that's the issue. I'd be checking the cam installation and roller count along with the metal cap (trigger ring) inside the CPS housing to make sure it was put on the right way.

And how does somebody surmise the ABS sensor needs replacing just by scanning?
Thanks. CPS swap proved to have same results. Wanted to check timing marks and rollers between the cams. Possible that the intake cam was installed incorrectly and the car still drivable?

ABS issue actually turned out to be sensor. Had a new lower control arm changed so not sure if they pulled the axle, but braking after picking up the car netted a stumbling sensation in the car. New sensor resolved. The sensation had happened once or twice in the past since changing the same axle about 2 years ago, but after the LCA it started happening multiple times a day.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is it possible to see the lower timing mark from above without the nose in service position? Want to try to verify the timing.

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
Yes. To get the socket on the crank, I use a 3/8" torque wrench (for length) and put it in sideways until it is inside the lower pulley. Then I turn it onto the crank bolt. It's a tight fit, but it does work.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes. To get the socket on the crank, I use a 3/8" torque wrench (for length) and put it in sideways until it is inside the lower pulley. Then I turn it onto the crank bolt. It's a tight fit, but it does work.
Thanks. I'll try to give that a shot. Is there a way to see the mark on the lower timing cover without pulling the nose? And it's 19 mm 12 pt right?

·
Registered
26,817 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the links. Kinda what I suspected in that I'll need to at least do a partial teardown to get to that mark. Getting a P1340 so not sure if I should be looking at the timing belt or the CCT since both we're changed at the same time.

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
You should be able to spray cleaner and see the mark without taking anything apart.

·
Registered
26,817 Posts
That's where the mark should be, but with the corrosion I can't see it in this pic.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
might not be of much help however here is pic of relative position of timing mark on TB lower cover I have marked in white paint IMG_20180710_190627.jpg , about 1/4" before the recess, let us know how you make out with condition/problem,thanks,Chief

1 - 19 of 19 Posts