Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
EDIT: I have a volkswagen TDI 2005

First, I did a search on this topic (on multiple forums), and didn't find the answer yet. My airbag light turned on when I turned the key one morning. I got one of those U281 diagnostic tools, which said it was fault p1221. One forum said that meant the airbag fault, while when I look it up, it seems to be something to do with a piston short to ground? I tend to believe the airbag fault theory, since I have an airbag fault. haha. So, I erased the fault, and it just comes right back. OK, so that means a broken wire, or a bad airbag module thing. I took the door apart and didn't see any frayed wires. I unplugged every wire on the driver side door and the fault was still p1221. I guess it could be a problem under the seat, but I don't know what wire to look for.

I took it to the VW dealership in Scottsdale, AZ, and they said they thought it might be a bad module which would cost $850 or so to fix. OK, but then they said sometimes when they fix a single module, that it doesn't properly talk with the older main computer (??? really??? They don't know what software is on their main computer and on their modules?!). So, they said the $850 fix may very well not work, since it has failed for a number of their customers. So, then they said the next fix would cost over $6000. I need to get this car in to check the emissions in like 3 days, and I was told by a mechanic that any light on the dash that's on means an automatic emissions fail. I only have one car. This is a serious problem for me. Any suggestions on how I could get this car to pass "emissions", which has nothing to do with airbags anyway.

· Registered
45 Posts

P1221

Cylinder shut-off exhaust valves Short circuit to ground

BUT:

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Faulty

01221 - Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179): Open Circuit / Short to Plus

Possible Symptoms

Airbag Warning Light ON

Possible Causes

Wiring/Connections between Airbag Control Module (J234) and Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) faulty
Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179) faulty
Airbag Control Module (J234) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Wiring/Connections between Airbag Control Module (J234) and Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
Replace Crash Sensor Side Airbag; Driver Side (G179)
Replace Airbag Control Module (J234)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.