Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i just bought this car and Im already having tranny problems. I had the ignition coil recall performed and the vw dealer scanned for codes since tranny was also in limp mode. They pulled a P0735 Gear 5 incorrect ratio code. Of course they suggested to buy and install a new transmission from them. Not what i wanted to hear at all. I would like to see if anyone on here has had any experience with this code and any confirmed fixes. Here is a little more detail about the car and the problem. the car is a 2003 1.8t gls tip with 68,000 miles. the car seems to run a drives around just fine, good actually, except at highway speeds when you attempt to pass someone and the transmission downshifts from 5th to 3rd it is very rough. It is almost as if the engine and transmission rpms are not matching up right away and then when they do finally it slams into gear. I have not noticed any other problems with shifting or driving. The transmission was in limp mode but yesterday on my way back from the store i noticed that the gear indicator no longer had all gears highlighted. I've done many searches but it seems that others who have had this same code have also had many other transmission related codes at the same time. I am getting ready to head on and put the car on jack stands to check the trans fluid level but i think that is just wishful thinking. Any information or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. hopefully i can narrow down the problem even if is does mean rebuild.

Also forgot to add that tiptronic functions normal and does not have the same problem when downshifting from 5th to 3rd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ok i just bought this car and Im already having tranny problems. I had the ignition coil recall performed and the vw dealer scanned for codes since tranny was also in limp mode. They pulled a P0735 Gear 5 incorrect ratio code. Of course they suggested to buy and install a new transmission from them. Not what i wanted to hear at all. I would like to see if anyone on here has had any experience with this code and any confirmed fixes. Here is a little more detail about the car and the problem. the car is a 2003 1.8t gls tip with 68,000 miles. the car seems to run a drives around just fine, good actually, except at highway speeds when you attempt to pass someone and the transmission downshifts from 5th to 3rd it is very rough. It is almost as if the engine and transmission rpms are not matching up right away and then when they do finally it slams into gear. I have not noticed any other problems with shifting or driving. The transmission was in limp mode but yesterday on my way back from the store i noticed that the gear indicator no longer had all gears highlighted. I've done many searches but it seems that others who have had this same code have also had many other transmission related codes at the same time. I am getting ready to head on and put the car on jack stands to check the trans fluid level but i think that is just wishful thinking. Any information or possible solutions would be greatly appreciated. hopefully i can narrow down the problem even if is does mean rebuild.

Also forgot to add that tiptronic functions normal and does not have the same problem when downshifting from 5th to 3rd.
Apparently, I just replaced my gearbox and I am having the same problem with the new gear. I am also searching for any solution. It is annoying to have the same problem after replacing the gear

1 - 2 of 2 Posts