Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last few days I have been getting a CEL P0430. It came on 4 days ago after a long trip to Vegas. It was like 110 degres there so I just cleared the CEL with my scanner which I carry with me all the time now. The light stayed off all the way home (350miles) and all day yesterday but today after several starts and stops going to diffrent stores it came on again when pulling in the drive way.:banghead:
The freeze frame data says this:
Fuel SYS 1 CL
Fuel SYS 2 CL
Calc LOAD% 5.8
ECT 199F
STFT B1% 1.5
LTFT B1% 1.5
STFT B2% 4.6
LTFT B2% 3.9
Engine RPM 1320
Veh Speed 34MPH

The Bank 2 fuel trim seems to be showing a lean condition on that side what could cause this and could this cause the Cat code? The car passed smog with flying colors a few weeks ago so I find it hard to beleive the cat is bad and live Data shows the O2 sensors are working properly.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just went and cleared the code and I noticed that if I clear the code it resets all the emission monitors. I have an Innova scan tool and it shows all the emission monitors on the main screen and when it resets the P0430 code the Evap, cat, heat, 02 monitors all reset. Im thinking maybe when it runs one of the monitors it turns the CEL on but its wierd it took 400+ miles to turn it on last time.

· Self inflicted facepalm
1,426 Posts
I just went and cleared the code and I noticed that if I clear the code it resets all the emission monitors. I have an Innova scan tool and it shows all the emission monitors on the main screen and when it resets the P0430 code the Evap, cat, heat, 02 monitors all reset. Im thinking maybe when it runs one of the monitors it turns the CEL on but its wierd it took 400+ miles to turn it on last time.

That is normal. It takes a while to build the data.

· Registered
3,913 Posts
It is normal for the CEL to stay off for a few key cycles after clearing the code. It takes a decent amount of information to get readiness back, so it will usually kick back on after several key cycles with driving. I'm having the same issue with our A6...

You may try checking for a leak in the flex joint, if you know the O2 sensors and cats are good, I would suspect there is a leak somewhere in the system.

· he just thinks he's amazing. really. no kidding.
3,754 Posts
For the last few days I have been getting a CEL P0430. It came on 4 days ago after a long trip to Vegas. It was like 110 degres there so I just cleared the CEL with my scanner which I carry with me all the time now. The light stayed off all the way home (350miles) and all day yesterday but today after several starts and stops going to diffrent stores it came on again when pulling in the drive way.:banghead:
The freeze frame data says this:
Fuel SYS 1 CL
Fuel SYS 2 CL
Calc LOAD% 5.8
ECT 199F
STFT B1% 1.5
LTFT B1% 1.5
STFT B2% 4.6
LTFT B2% 3.9
Engine RPM 1320
Veh Speed 34MPH

The Bank 2 fuel trim seems to be showing a lean condition on that side what could cause this and could this cause the Cat code? The car passed smog with flying colors a few weeks ago so I find it hard to beleive the cat is bad and live Data shows the O2 sensors are working properly.
I was getting consistent CELs for cat inefficiency and occasional lean/rich codes. Had my O2's changed under warranty (the pre-cat O2's IIRC) and the problem mostly disappeared. I still get a very occasional P0420 when I fill up with "lower grade" fuels, as in, not from 76, Chevron, Shell, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.