Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Although it still looks plenty long I wonder if that was done because the PO had to cut back some of the wiring that was damaged from heat and they simply made an extension?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001Volkswagen Passat 1.8T GLS
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took it off when, after I got home, I couldn't start the car again and Got 0322 0321 codes.

Drove down the block, and it sputtered and died.

When I had taken it off, surprisingly now my cigarette lighter has power.

But the interior lights don't turn on and the alarm lights don't flash when arming now.

Put it back and still no interior lights and no accessory power.

I was beginning to think it was some sort of make shift ground as there is obviously electrical issues.

But im at a loss. Its simply a coil plug extension, with a lead wire mounted to the cover.

Dunno

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2003 passat 1.8t 163k miles
Driving ast night, and felt a jolt. Went to accel and car died. Threw p0322 0321 codes.

Limped home and parked it.

First thing this morning purchased and installed new ess and now no start yet no codes

Tia

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,751 Posts
I was beginning to think it was some sort of make shift ground as there is obviously electrical issues.

But im at a loss. Its simply a coil plug extension, with a lead wire mounted to the cover.

Dunno
If you test all the coil plugs:
Terminal 2 (large brown wire) should all show continuity with each other and are grounded to the firewall.
Terminal 4 (smaller brown/yellow wire) should all show continuity with each other and ground to the valve cover.
Terminal 1 Red/Green is 12v from fuse 29 (20a fuse)
Terminal 3 Each go to the ECU separately.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,751 Posts
What terminal on the plug is it connected to? Should 4 but possibly #2.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was on 1.

I took it off thinking it was not needed. And that's why I suggested electrical gremlins, because after I removed it, my cigarette lighter and ashtray began to work.

Started getting everything back in order. Purchased this used a few days ago.

Got the 322 code.

Replaced the ess. Now won't start.

Took plugs and coils off, all are used and will be replaced. Yet now gett code 354

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
are you getting spark at the plugs?

ESS only inhibits fuel delivery AFAIK but you may have an ignition issue

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,751 Posts
You need to keep it in one thread. Without everyone knowing the other issues, there is no way you'll get a good answer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Same car. I noticed this unknown mod last night when the car was fine and running. This is new today

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,751 Posts
Same car. I noticed this unknown mod last night when the car was fine and running. This is new today
Yes, but it could all be related.
Do these tests for the coil pack wiring

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't have a vagcom nor access to one atm.

Started testing coils, and couldn't get a reading from my battery. Moving the proves I'd get brief 13-18v readings, but would disappear as soon as they would appear.

Getting irritated at yet another pandoras box, wanted to trace the wires. Very brittle and a good detour from the frustration of the current task

When one coil plug completely dismantled itself upon removal (the entire insides shattered into pieces. Replaced that one and found this on #3

Obvious problem I will correct, and then on to the 322. Will update

Attachments

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,751 Posts
You’d be better off trying to find a complete replacement harness or enough of one from a junk yard to make a quality repair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Tomvw

·
Registered
80 Posts
While this is a bit expensive it would allow you to take the repair back quite a ways into the old harness and replace everything downstream at once.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Harnesses from junkyards are $26.
Since my maf portion is intact, I should be able to frankenjimmy one.

In the meantime, I cut the wire sleeve down to the puck, and the wires in that area haven't been affected by elements. I know the remaining 2 clips will need replacing. Will install #3 tomorrow am, and see if anything has changed. Reading my generic obdii the code for p0322 was no longer present. It was p0354 coil D primary/secondary circuit. Replaced that clip. And read p0366, open circuit. I'm guessing that's due to #3 being cut and exposed. Where as #4 is repaired so it's not throwing the p0354.

I Appreciate the input and time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I removed it, then it would leave the circuit open?

1 - 20 of 157 Posts