1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Passat Wagon GLS 1.8T
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Welcome to 2020!!
2005 Passat GLS 1.8T

I’m trying to trouble shoot mine. I got to the turbo and had no play with the shaft. Looked clean.. compared to google searches of broken ones.
Reached between and tried to jiggle the rod/actuator and it was tight. Throwing the 0299 still. Disconnected the wastegate line from the new N75 and drove it. Hit about 4 or 5 psi with about 3/4 throttle.

I hear, faintly, air from around the FPR. Maybe behind or below.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
I pulled this out of a necro-thread for you to get the proper exposure. let me know if you want to change the title.

Assume you meant P0299?

If you hear a hissing sound around the FPR, it is probably the Suction Jet Pump. It's a combination of a venturi and check valves in a single unit that connects to the brake booster and intake manifold/vacuum system. They tend to split at the seams where the check valves are on the original after a while. They have revised versions now. Try pushing it together or gently bend it a little to see if the noise changes. No other codes?

Reactions: Poweredge99

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for moving it. Nothing else for codes, just that code. It only appears after I get on it. I am seeing around 2 psi boost at most. If that helps.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
afac, Factory boost ought to be around 7-8 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
7-8 on the 150hp models (AEB/ATW). 11psi stock boost on the 170hp AUG/AWM

Power, definitely check that valve. other than that, there is the infamous "L-hose" that connects the end of the SJP to the intake manifold. With yours being a 2005, it is an upgraded hose from previous years, but still can be the cause.

Per the wiki link I posted:
  • Check Hoses/Pipes to/between Components
  • Check / Clean / Replace Charge Pressure Control (N75 valve)
  • Check Turbocharger
  • Check Diverter Valve

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Power, definitely check that valve. other than that, there is the infamous "L-hose" that connects the end of the SJP to the intake manifold. With yours being a 2005, it is an upgraded hose from previous years, but still can be the cause.

• Check Turbocharger
  • Check Diverter Valve
Okay. I will check that this afternoon when I get home.

I have replaced the N75 and diverter valve. I checked the turbo as best I could on the side opposite the cat. It had no play and spun with ease. No metal or anything off looking. (based on google pics of bad ones). That possibly could mean the above mentioned to try and/or the turbo itself. I am still unclear on the wastegate/actuator rod. It seems so tight and I cant get any play.

Thanks again!!

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
I would leave the turbo be for now. Pull the hose from the pressure side of the turbo to check for oil. There will be some build up from crankcase vapors, but if more than a Tbs or so, I’d investigate further.

Do a pressure test as well. Try to loosen and refit any pressure side hoses. Often you can find a leak by just checking how they are seated or by tightening.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts

• Check Turbocharger
  • Check Diverter Valve
Which year did they upgrade it? The AWM motors?

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
The jump in hp was the 2001.5 B5.5 model.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would leave the turbo be for now. Pull the hose from the pressure side of the turbo to check for oil. There will be some build up from crankcase vapors, but if more than a Tbs or so, I’d investigate further.

Do a pressure test as well. Try to loosen and refit any pressure side hoses. Often you can find a leak by just checking how they are seated or by tightening.

Will do. Just to make sure I check the right one.. Is A, B or C the pressure side? C is exhaust? I checked B and there was not much oil and it was only on the bottom of the hose. It looked old. I think I have a pic of that and the inside view of B at home. Thanks again!! I am trying to learn this and am grateful for the help.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
A is the pressurized outlet to the intercooler on the other side of the car.
B is the intake side coming from the airbox
C is the exhaust side coming from the manifold

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Isn't the normal spot to check for oil in the pressurized air output at the intercooler connection? I thought that was the low spot where oil collects.
I'm referring to the rubber hose that connects to the intercooler under the front bumper on the driver side IIRC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A is the pressurized outlet to the intercooler on the other side of the car.
B is the intake side coming from the airbox
C is the exhaust side coming form the manifold
Copy that.

thank you for the clarification. I haven’t checked that one yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Isn't the normal spot to check for oil in the pressurized air output at the intercooler connection? I thought that was the low spot where oil collects.
I'm referring to the rubber hose that connects to the intercooler under the front bumper on the driver side IIRC.
I did have oil in the hose that comes from the top of the intercooler, if that means anything.
I didn’t check the bottom.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
Yes, and thanks for pointing that out. Checking the output of the turbo still helps, imo. If a heavy coating of oil there, I would investigate the turbo further.
I did have oil in the hose that comes from the top of the intercooler, if that means anything.
I didn’t check the bottom.
The top is normal. Like a coating of oil and maybe a tiny little drop hanging off the throttle body opening. The bottom, like mentioned above, would be the low spot where it would collect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay.. started to rain on me but I got to check the lines by the FPR. The noise, while faint, is definitely that unit. I could check it by covering the unit with a piece of cardboard and move it around. The noise would go away and come back. Then I used it under the FPR and didn’t hear a change in the noise. I have a new one but got rained out. Google searching.. I don’t see a relation between the P0299 code and the FPR. However, I will go back when it’s not raining and investigate more in that area. It doesn’t help I have a ear infection and can only hear out of one ear. I think doing a pressure test, as mentioned, is the next step. I will check the pressure turbo line also.
Stupid rain.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,292 Posts
There is the N249 valve under the intake manifold that controls vacuum and pressure to the Diverter valve. You could try pulling the hose leading from the DV off that valve and hooking it directly up to the nipple on the front corner of the intake manifold (how the B5s used to be). See if it holds boost then. The spring in the DV won't hold much psi by itself without a little positive pressure in that line.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There is the N249 valve under the intake manifold that controls vacuum and pressure to the Diverter valve. You could try pulling the hose leading from the DV off that valve and hooking it directly up to the nipple on the front corner of the intake manifold (how the B5s used to be). See if it holds boost then. The spring in the DV won't hold much psi by itself without a little positive pressure in that line.
Doing this tomorrow.. ran to the parts store to get replacement parts incase I broke something.. I forgot I have to go under the car to get to the top off the DV.. back at again tomorrow. Getting that hose off the 249, looks like it’s going to be a pain. They didn’t make it easy.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got this done.. drove it and seeing 4psi as max boost under heavy acceleration. Didn’t throw a code though.. it’s possible I didn’t drive it far/long enough. I think I’m going to buy/make something for a pressure test. I can here the turbo spooling and everything seems as it should, just slow. Any recommendations on a good kit/tool to buy? Or is the DIY the best for this?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New sound.. not sure if this is something bad or the next step of something failing.. doesn’t sound good. It’s definitely around the cat/turbo. I’d say closer the the flange where they meet.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts