Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

P0299-35-10 - Control Range not reached - Intermittent

4K views 16 replies 5 participants last post by  cchief22 
#1 ·
Please help..
I have this code 2-3 month ago and today i finally get started to do something about that. :D
No check engine light, no any light.. just this code
I feel a big difference sometimes on power.. sometimes is have a lot of power from 2000rpm sometimes not.
I have seen actual vs specif boost in vcds and there is a huge difference in lines ... the actual boost is never getting close to specif.
Car is Passat b5.5 2003 1.8t ATW...
Can someone suggest from where to start, how to test a components?

#3 · (Edited)
Are you certain the engine code is ATW? If so, it was swapped in from a 2000 Passat/A4. Have you had the car for a while?

Although, on second thought, being that you're in Europe, ATW could have been used in B5.5's over there, so my comment may not be correct.

I would start with the hoses to see if there's a boost leak.

Sretno!

#5 ·
on the turbo itself there are some hoses 10-13mm diameter ,that activate/deactivate regulating the boost, they are pressure not vacuum operational ,as it taps off the pressure side of turbo, this operates the bypass "penny" valve (has diaphram) actuator (which is open until boost is requested)in the turbo body itself ,when boost is called for, this pressure is diverted to boost side of plumbing by N75 valve, if N75 is not working or clogged, penny valve remains open not helping turbo to spool up.

#7 ·
I believe the word you're looking for Chief is Wastegate and wastegate actuator?

Reactions: cchief22
#9 ·
I ain't no spring chicken, but I haven't heard of it being called a penny valve. Thought others might need clarification, too. (y)

#10 ·
VGuy ,I know I have heard "wastegate" which sometimes gets confused or mis-named for a "blowoff"/diverter valve which dumps back turbine pressure into turbo inlet hose, regardless thanks for the correction,as a sidebar is there a table/list/chart or spread sheet that has all ,majority of the Passat/Audi acronyms,terms ,common parts with there definitions in a data base on the forum ? i.e. TCM- Transmission Control Module

#11 ·
Guys appriciate your help.
Today i have tried to check visualy all hoses around the turbo and everything seems ok. I dont see any cracked hose or clamp broken checked also hoses that is go on intercooler upper and lower and they are ok. Also looked at inside intercooler after removing lower hose and there is minor of oil ( i think that is not a problem?)-
Then i called a friend to give me some advice and he told me to remove hose that is going on westgate (cchief22 picture).. so that turbo can get boost.. his words: After removing that hose if turbo is ok than turbo need to get boost or maybe overboost.. if we dont get boost there is problem in turbo or wastegate?? Im wondering is that correct???
So we took a ride and there is no any diffrence also vcds connected and actual boost is lower than specif??
So should i doubit on turbo or maybe wastegate after this ride or he give me wrong advice?? :D

#12 ·
I just replaced a clogged catalytic converter in an Audi A4 1.8t engine. It had very little power and the gas mileage was low. I pulled out the pre-cat Oxygen sensor and ran the engine. Most of the exhaust was coming out of that 02 hole = unusual. I also saw the holes of the honeycomb (the cat's innards) looked plugged/covered.
Now with the new cat, it has its power restored. I think the code was the same as yours.
Good luck with your hunt!

#13 ·
Update!!
After some researche of forums and checking hoses.. (still didnt do a leak test, but i will), I found when i accelerating ( mostly uphill ) im hearing some noise ( i would say rattling) metal to metal something like that.. and also when im going downhill but foot is not on gas pedal also the same noise.
So i find a lot forums about wastegate flap.. and i try to pull shaft that is going from actuator to flap .. and seems to have a little movement to engine and turbo maybe 1-2 mm ( is that ok?) but when i try to move parallel with engine its seems ok.. I would say that maybe my flap is not closing enough or maybe is fall of and go to cat .. so that is the noise that im hearing??
Next step is to remove cat and see what is inside cat and turbo, is the flap on position where its should be :D

#14 ·
Soo after one month i have found time to do a leak test: - And i have leakage on suction jet pump (chinesee ebay) suction jet pump that is old maybe one year, it has leakage all over .. each clamp you can rotate by hand ( one time clamps).. plastic part it has leakage ... disaster.
Question: Could this be reason for Control range not reached?
When i order a new one will see if it will solve my problem if not. I'm continue with investigation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.