Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what this CEL code means:
P0118 Engine Coolant Temp.Circ High Input

And how I would go about fixing it???

THanks!!!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Yes. It's probably your coolant temperature sensor. It's a common failure in our cars, but fortunately easy to fix. It should cost around $8 and takes about 15 minutes to install. Just make sure you buy the little plastic clip and O-ring, too. You should replace the O-ring, and if you break or lose the old clip, you'll be glad you have a new one.

·
Registered
151 Posts
vwagen said:
Thanks alot! Just the help I was looking for!!!
Make sure you have the right one. There are two, a green one that is rounded on one side, and a blue one that is square. The green one replaces an original black one that is no longer available.

Make sure that the car is cool and that there is no pressure in the cooling system. Let the car sit for a while after driving and even then, unscrew the cap of your coolant reservoir a little until you hear the pressure release (AGAIN ONLY AFTER THE CAR HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A WHILE).

Just make sure that the new coolant temperature sensor is seated all the way, otherwise you will lose coolant when the engine is going.

It does not hurt to get an extra clip or two. They are like $0.50 each.

I just did mine last night.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I think I'll stop by the dealer tonight.

Do I need to clear the CEL codes afterwards?

·
Registered
151 Posts
vwagen said:
Thanks! I think I'll stop by the dealer tonight.

Do I need to clear the CEL codes afterwards?
Not really. The codes will clear on their own after about 7 start cycles. When I took my temp sensor out to see which one I had, I snapped the clip so I got my Dremel and made one out of some plastic to get me to the dealer for a new one and back home again. So over the two days, the code had cleared on its own right before I put in the new one.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts