Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a P0113 that I've been trying to track down. Besides the CEL, the throttle is slow to respond, and it feels a little rough while sitting at stop lights.

Started with swapping intake temp sensor. Didn't solve it.

Moving onto the MAF, but before I do that I wanna make sure she doesn't have any leaks anywhere.

I've placed my input on the side near the air filter, and a cap on the hose that connects the intercooler to the throttle body/intake manifold.

Also disconnected the PCV (and capped off) as well as pinched the small line next to it (can't recall the name).

Pressured up the system to 10lbs and heard the bubbling of oil. Saw a few people mention this, so disregarding it.

Heard a small leak on the intake tube that connects the air box to the turbo, will be addressing that.

Also, I felt air coming out of the intake manifold/throttle body. Is this normal?

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated as this little gremlin has been bugging me for a bit.

Here are a few readings I took while driving around, as well as the crack I found on the tube.

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,601 Posts
How old if the MAF? You can take it out and clean it with MAF cleaner spray and do the measurements again. Also check and make sure the harnedd connected to the MAF is not loose.

·
Registered
27,118 Posts
It's normal to hear some some air from the intake due to open intake valves and air getting past the rings.
There looks to be another tear in that hose down 1 rib down, just before the next opening is clamped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
How old if the MAF? You can take it out and clean it with MAF cleaner spray and do the measurements again. Also check and make sure the harnedd connected to the MAF is not loose.

MAF most likely has never been touched. Will take it out and give it a cleaning.

I've been slowly rebuilding this car over the last year and a half.

Not sure what was done with her previously, but she's been plagued with one issue after another.

I've nicknamed her Frankenstein. Everything on her seems to be rigged together with parts that don't belong to her.

Trying to get this last engine issue sorted before I go onto fixing the suspension/steering.

At this point, I keep going because I'm too stubborn to lose to a car, lol.

Engine work done thus far (missing some items):
  • new VVT
  • new VVT chain
  • new, correct, oil dipstick
  • new intercooler
  • replaced all of those annoying one&done clamps with screw hose clamps
  • "new" camshaft caps
  • new gaskets for valve cover, camshafts, vvt, etc.
  • oil filter housing gasket
  • replaced broken coolant piping in rear of engine (pain on the ass)
  • new timing with metal pump
  • new serpentines
  • rebuilt the alternator
  • went through every hose/check valve/pcv system/vacuum system and replaced anything broken/clogged/etc.
  • new oil pump
  • new oil feeder tube
  • new engine mounts
  • new o-rings for fuel injectors
  • cleaned throttle / replaced gasket
  • new fuel filter
Suspension:
- rebuilt the entire 5 point suspension

Braking:
  • flushed system
  • replaced rotors/pads
  • rebuilt calipers
Frame:
  • tracked down sunroof leak
  • fixed pool i found in battery bay
Still to do:
  • rebuild rack and pinion
  • replace struts
  • flush transmission
  • whatever else I find.
Thanks for all the help!

·
in dire need of an organic chemistry lesson
2,601 Posts
At this point, I keep going because I'm too stubborn to lose to a car, lol.
Yeah but bear in mind that wrestling with an old Passat almost always is a loss in terms of your pocket and a patience.

Anyway, I'm afraid you also have to add changing to a new O2 sensor to your long maintenance-to-do list.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah but bear in mind that wrestling with an old Passat almost always is a loss in terms of your pocket and a patience.

Anyway, I'm afraid you also have to add changing to a new O2 sensor to your long maintenance-to-do list.
Agreed. It's definitely not a financially responsible thing to do. Have wanted to light it on fire more than once.

This is more of a passion for VWs. Short one of car, they're the only brand I've ever owned.

Current list:
  • 2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
  • 2012 Passat 2.5
  • 2005 1.8t
  • 2013 CC 2.0t
Formers:
  • 2004.5 Jetta GLI
  • 2002 1.9 TDI
  • 2002 VR6
  • 1994 Pontiac Grand Am
Thanks for the advice on the 02 sensors. I will make sure to get those done.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,200 Posts
Started with swapping intake temp sensor. Didn't solve it
So, the code still pops up for P0113 after replacing the AIT sensor? Now you need to check fuses and the wiring for the sensor.

For others that offer up advice...some previous work done in more detail below.

Reactions: tyani7505

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, the code still pops up for P0113 after replacing the AIT sensor? Now you need to check fuses and the wiring for the sensor.

Ty! Will read it now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

On a side note. I see you did a manual swap. Was it complicated? Keep contemplating doing that once the engine is sorted.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,200 Posts
On a side note. I see you did a manual swap. Was it complicated? Keep contemplating doing that once the engine is sorted.
It was not hard, just time consuming. If you can do a clutch job, you can do a manual swap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts