Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I have had this pesky p0011 code for the last couple months. I recently replaced the Cam Chain Tensioner about 3 weekends ago and I just checked again for Codes and it came back p0011 Camshaft Position Timing Over-Advanced Or System Performance Bank 1

I have changed the oil the same time I did the Cam Tensioner as I thought it could also be low oil pressure

I did take photos of the Timing Marks ON the Intake and Cam Shaft. You will see the Camshaft Mark is right on but the Intake Cam is a little advanced (I have counted the 16 links between multiple times so I know that is aligned)

PHOTOS - https://photos.app.goo.gl/n86DVX6FJESqdnGy8

Any help on what else I should be checking here to solve this one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
482 Posts
If the code popped before you changed the CCT it may be because the cam gear had jumped a tooth on the timing belt. Only massive failure of the CCT would allow the cam chain to skip. You would have heard A LOT of noise from the chain slop due to chain guide breakage on the CCT.

·
Registered
29,152 Posts
That is 15 links on your pictures. You need to have the CCT extended, not clamped down to measure the correct number of links.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi PZ. Can you explain how I should be counting the links? I counted this with the tensioner down on these photos. But When I applied the new tensioner I counted again with it extended. I did try to move it back 1 more link on the intake cam but then it was 15 links between. With the current 16 links I see in between the intake came is not lined up fully so I assume the chain has been strectched or I am just counting wrong?

·
Registered
29,152 Posts

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
It looks like you have the chain set correctly, but can't be sure from the pics.
I suggest you check the oil pressure, that is what is likely to be causing your problem.
If it is low oil pressure, you are likely to destroy the head soon if it is not fixed.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Yall So Wanted to post an update here.

I let this go for a while but started here some slapping noises around the timing belt area. REmoved the cover and the belt was flapping about 2-4 inches on the top side. The tensioner must of came loose. I tightened the tensioner and all the chain rattling noises and tapping noises are gone. Will see if the Code comes back in the coming weeks but looks like the issue is fixed. Thanks for all you help passatworld.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.