Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I would also like to find out what the oil pressure is running at. This has never been a sludge motor. pretty dang clean for the most part but who knows RTV might have got stuck in oil pump screen, So what I think I will do is replace the CCT Making sure sprockets and chains are marked well LOL. closing up top end checking wiring for connector and once running take down to shop and put a oil pressure gage on it. If pressure is within specs I wont drop oil pan. If I still have code I will get cable and software from Rosstech and scan. At this point my oil light has never been on ever but I guess sensor could be stuck at 60psi

·
Registered
844 Posts
On any connection I've ever put back together on my Passat, whether a wiring harness junction, or to the TCM, a fuel injector, a relay, or CCT, I've always included my friend polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS), or better known as silicon or dielectric grease. This stuff is not conductive so it will not improve conductivity in a connection. What it does do is keep out the water and dirt so the connections don't corrode. Buuut you guys all know this.

Reactions: axenstar

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I would not until you figure out what is the problem.......since you have had this problem before, and seeing you bought from FCP Euro probably sent it/them back, but if if you have one pull out the top shoe and examine spring and plastic pin for any distortion and score marks on piston and inner walls. Have had lots of these to look at, I had a HT Hamburg CCT on car for 10K, and randomly had fail code, but were over advance and over retard codes. Top piston and inside scored, not real bad but enough that it must have been sticking. New one on and no problems. In your case to be honest not sure. And you will hear all the pundits say "oh it must be chain stretch" .......sorry I can safely say not, and assume you did not change yours out.......and it is not the sensor, but checking tone ring for damage would be prudent. As to one on car, IF and I hate to have you do more work but if you do take it out remove install tool and pull top piston/shoe out careful not to drop or loose spring and plastic stop pin, then with spring and pin out re-insert piston/shoe and check for freedom of movement/not sticking. Maybe Rob. Achmann can add to this as I posted on one of his threads (cannot remember which thread) a picture of what you are dealing with in regards to what the CCT; top piston spring ,pin assembly looks like internally. The o-ring damage you refer to is I believe the o-ring(s) in the actual modulating CCT control solenoid itself.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Using logic like Spock, if you do not have enough oil pressure you should get a "retard" code since the oil pressure "response" would be slow and not advancing to the ECU's command/designated point, am open to comments regarding my thinking on this, seems like it is advancing correctly but on acceleration cam is slow to retard....correct??? thus the over advance code......and this is all with the assumption timing is correct which seems confirmed.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I’m not sure i would have much to add here. My big skill in Passat stuff is massive amounts of OCD cleaning - enough to wash out inside gunk you can’t see inside the CCT cylinder or any oil ports on the body of it. Trace the route the oil needs to take - if there’s a trace of residue, it’s removed

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
cchief22. I had the problem before but believe this was caused by me. I should say I had 2 problems that started at same time, I replaced original CCT due to chain noise at rear of head. Around this time the nut on timing chain tensioner let go causing all the slack in belt. I never thought to look at belt since it only had 30000 on it and no BS Every time I would check TDC It was right there. Slack on belt causes same code did not know that at the time but learn something new every day lol. Now that timing is right belt and tensioner replaced and still getting code" By the way I have had vacuum codes and others in past before belt replace" My logic is since top is already open and FCP Euro will send me a new CCT I should just change it. I'm guessing i could have screwed up lower o ring inside unit tightening down the CCT. As far as oil pressure I'm guessing I would have more then p0011 for cam timing. As far as I can tell in diagrams oil pressure controls retarding and advancing of timing along with engine rotation. If oil is slipping by a seal or screwed something up over compressing I just want to rule it out. Plus can check connectors and oil ports again while out. Will only take me 20 min at this point to get old one out. Also the last one they sent me was a Gates tensioner. Getting that replaced and replacing oil to 5w40 and see what I got then. what boggles me is I can drive it easy for 50 or so miles no issue. start boosting past 12 15 lbs and light comes on. drive for 50 60 miles easy light goes out. It does have a chip or should say program. Also if anyone out there needs any b5 parts let me know. going to get hood and trunk off parts car and a few other things and she is going. have computer, both boxes from under both front floors and pretty much anything else somebody might need. I just took mostly body parts off due to the lovely salt N.Y. loves to put down. was going to take turbo but going to get a new one for sons as oil is starting to get by.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I’m not sure i would have much to add here. My big skill in Passat stuff is massive amounts of OCD cleaning - enough to wash out inside gunk you can’t see inside the CCT cylinder or any oil ports on the body of it. Trace the route the oil needs to take - if there’s a trace of residue, it’s removed
Rob, reason I referenced you is I believe I posted some pics on one of your threads, and cannot remember which one, I wanted the OP to see the internals of the CCT.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
cchief22. I had the problem before but believe this was caused by me. I should say I had 2 problems that started at same time, I replaced original CCT due to chain noise at rear of head. Around this time the nut on timing chain tensioner let go causing all the slack in belt. I never thought to look at belt since it only had 30000 on it and no BS Every time I would check TDC It was right there. Slack on belt causes same code did not know that at the time but learn something new every day lol. Now that timing is right belt and tensioner replaced and still getting code" By the way I have had vacuum codes and others in past before belt replace" My logic is since top is already open and FCP Euro will send me a new CCT I should just change it. I'm guessing i could have screwed up lower o ring inside unit tightening down the CCT. As far as oil pressure I'm guessing I would have more then p0011 for cam timing. As far as I can tell in diagrams oil pressure controls retarding and advancing of timing along with engine rotation. If oil is slipping by a seal or screwed something up over compressing I just want to rule it out. Plus can check connectors and oil ports again while out. Will only take me 20 min at this point to get old one out. Also the last one they sent me was a Gates tensioner. Getting that replaced and replacing oil to 5w40 and see what I got then. what boggles me is I can drive it easy for 50 or so miles no issue. start boosting past 12 15 lbs and light comes on. drive for 50 60 miles easy light goes out. It does have a chip or should say program. Also if anyone out there needs any b5 parts let me know. going to get hood and trunk off parts car and a few other things and she is going. have computer, both boxes from under both front floors and pretty much anything else somebody might need. I just took mostly body parts off due to the lovely salt N.Y. loves to put down. was going to take turbo but going to get a new one for sons as oil is starting to get by.
sorry do not buy/understand slack on belt causing the over advance code as the crank pulley is always pulling the cam pulley not vice versa (keeping belt tight), any slack caused by the belt tensioner would be on the "backside" (tensioner area). Now with the new info regarding "tune" all bets are off.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Rob, reason I referenced you is I believe I posted some pics on one of your threads, and cannot remember which one, I wanted the OP to see the internals of the CCT.
It’s post # 43 in “Camshaft seal/gasket knowledge needed...”

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
See page 3, post #43

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
Slack in the timing belt can cause intake too advanced errors.
Due to the force against the cam lobes as the valves are closing, the intake cam speeds up taking up slack in the belt.
This will also cause chatter in the timing chain/s.

·
Registered
844 Posts
thank you !!!!! appreciate the effort
No effort! I just need to clue in as to what’s actually being asked of me the first time lol

Reactions: cchief22

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
Slack in the timing belt can cause intake too advanced errors.
Due to the force against the cam lobes as the valves are closing, the intake cam speeds up taking up slack in the belt.
This will also cause chatter in the timing chain/s.
thanks for explanation, but wouldn't the lobes on another cylinder in the "work" lift mode negate the one in the "relax" mode ? , I do know that in a static condition (overnight) that the cam lobes will move thus the next morning damper appears out of adjustment.

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
thanks for explanation, but wouldn't the lobes on another cylinder in the "work" lift mode negate the one in the "relax" mode ? , I do know that in a static condition (overnight) that the cam lobes will move thus the next morning damper appears out of adjustment.
It looks like you have answered your own question.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
good one Tom, I see your point .....sorta painted myself in a corner as they say. I am going to revisit this when engine is in a in a dynamic/running mode. Hope all is well "down under".

·
Registered
9,907 Posts
good one Tom, I see your point .....sorta painted myself in a corner as they say. I am going to revisit this when engine is in a in a dynamic/running mode. Hope all is well "down under".
All is good down here, thanks and best wishes for you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Good Day everyone. Wanted to give an update. Finally car is good. I decided to exchange the tensioner from FCP Euro. Had them send me a gates Tensioner changed oil to 5w-40 and large MANN filter and all codes gone. Even the Random o2 bank 1 code is gone. Past inspection and MPG back to 30. Thanks everybody for the help.now to finish taking apart the parts car and getting that out of the driveway lol.

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
Glad you finally got it worked out. It's tough when new parts are bad as you don't expect it and look for anything else you can think of.

Reactions: Tomvw
21 - 39 of 39 Posts