Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swear this car is the Anti Christ. For those of you that don't know the history. This is an 03 Passat 1.8T. 2 years ago around 30000miles ago the belt water pump ETC was done. 3 months later I started to hear the cam chain making noise. Replaced with the Elring kit from FCP Euro all good. 3 months later noticed oil smell found oil seeping out from the pressed in ball bearing looking thing on cam tensioner housing. FCP sent me a new one. Installed and 3 days later got code p0011. After this all Hell Broke loose. I have replaced Cam tensioner 3 times and in the process lost my marks on the chain to gears on cam. PZ Gave me help and verified cams looked back in time, In the process of fixing this I found the belt had no tension. Turns out the nut let the roller backed off. not sure if it was torqued wrong or what. Past weekend got it in shop tore front end off installed new belt and tensioner, Rotated twice marks line up Good to go. On way to get inspected roughly 38 miles engine light came on. checked codes and behold P0011. At this point if my son did not truly need this car i would drive it on hill load it with powder and tanerite and be very happy watching it blow up. But in reality I can't. So my next plan is take off top timing cover get it to TDC pull the valve cover and check timing on the cams. Is there anyone out there who would do a facetime with me to verify this so I know I'm not truly loosing my marbles. As far as I know belt is installed correct. Tensioner has roughly 7mm Gap from plate to tensioner body. Everything looked fine to me but truly want a second set of eyes on it once I have valve cover off. I thought maybe oil pressure getting low but I have never got the stop engine oil press low. Is there something I'm missing here? I will post pictures also but would really like to do a facetime with someone more 1.8t Savvy then me. The car itself is in great shape. I have a complete parts car matching year and color that I have been pulling parts off of to keep it looking good and drivable. I know there is something that I'm not seeing or The pics that I sent PZ Looked on but they are not. So Any takers shoot me a message.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
not sure why so many pics loaded.
You can edit that post you know and delete all that repetition.
What's weird though it usually only allows 5 pictures per post.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
I don't know, it all looks good to me. Proper roller count, all the marks line up. Don't sweat that intake cam timing mark, that is only off by a hair. If you fiddled with the tensioner ever so slightly that mark would be spot on.

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
Might that P0011 be from a faulty solenoid on the CCT?

·
Registered
28,240 Posts
I would run a check with VCDS to see if the CCT is adjusting the cam timing at all. The marks look fine, apart from the CCT being just a hair compressed to throw off the intake cam mark. Have you checked the cam sensor and its wiring?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The CCT chain is tight. do not have a VCDS but might have to get one. This is the third tensioner that has been installed. The intake looks a tad advanced but when I look at other pics on here it matches up to those. Only get this code when I get on it. Driving easy it normally stays off. For shits and giggles im going to check oil pressure. Top end is getting oil but does sound a tad loud. Has 5w30 in it right now wondering if the 5w40 would help.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
The static timing appears to be correct.

Scan with VCDS or other good VAG scanner.
Check the wiring and connector on the CCT solenoid.
Check the CCT solenoid valve operation.

·
Registered
864 Posts
<Snipped for irrelevant info with good intentions> -VAGguy

It looks like the photos are all ok to me. They look about right for the CCT and chain / cam sprocket position.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,226 Posts
You don't need to make marks on the sprocket for the pulley or that outside belt housing. That sprocket for the TB should be free wheeling to allow you to get the belt on. If the drive shaft is locked, then these sprockets need to turn and their ultimate resting position when tightened is unimportant. If the marks were already there - just disregard them. It looks like the photos are all ok to me. They look about right for the CCT and chain / cam sprocket position.
1.8T you do not loosen the cam sprockets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,488 Posts
You've been hanging with Dave in V6 land....
Hey just because I mentioned something about an upper and lower oil pan on the 1.8 one time...
:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: axenstar and VAGguy

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
if you have just and only the P0011 timing code, which indicates the CCT is advancing correctly but not returning to it's "home" position thus giving the "over advanced" code. This is sometimes symptomatic of the CCT being over tightened with the installation tool.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
cchief22 Are you saying I should replace the CCT 1 more time before I close up the top End? I have no problem doing that if it will fix the problem. Not sure but it is possible that I over tightened with tool. Somone else mentioned same thing to me about that saying if it is over tightened the oring inside gets damaged.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts