Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 b5.5 with the 1.8t AWM engine and I just recently replaced my vvt/cam chain tensioner, cam chain, and cam position sensor. A few months ago I replaced the timing belt, belt tensioner, and Water pump. I did the computer reset after and that cleared my CEL, the car fired almost instantly(which was an improvement from before the repair), turned it off so I could put a few things up for a test drive, came back and it didn’t want to start and the CEL came back. Eventually I got it to fire up and took it for the test drive and there was NO power until I was past 3k rpm and even then it was lacking. Got the codes read and it’s pulling a p0011 and a p0341. Any clues? I’m almost at wits end now after having spent so much time on it.

·
Registered
29,157 Posts
Both codes point to a misaligned exhaust cam due to the CCT replacement. With the engine at TDC and the CCT extended, did the marks on the cam chain pulleys line up with the notches on the cam bearing caps? Did you turn the engine 2 times and verify the marks lined up?

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
concur with PZ, double check the timing, as a side bar when you first started engine I assume SAIP came on , until it cycles (45-60 sec.) I believe the ECM ignores cam sensor as far as throwing a CEL. What brand CCT did you use may I ask.? When you checked the "chain count" between the two cam sprockets was the installation tool removed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As it turns out, I guess I got a little hasty when putting it back together because I didn’t turn the engine over 2 times to make sure. After taking the valve cover off and got the tabs to line up in TDC my exhaust cam was one tooth off. Got it all put back together and it’s running better than it has in a loooooong time! Thank you all for the help, it’s much appreciated!

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
well all right.......super duper!!! as reference to my posted pic, if you look closely before I put the/a new CCT in , I put white paint dots on either side of sprocket "notches" corresponding to bearing cap marks ,and a dot of paint on tip of sprocket tooth (you can barely see) yielding the 16 tooth roller count specified

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.