Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding the rear fog feature to my 04.5 Variant (B5.5) and following a write-up for a B5 (will post ref. links later; on dial-up right now). Roughly 95% of the B5 write-up applies to the B5.5, with an exception. I want to activate the rear fog icon for the dash (appears in the tach). The write-up says to use the empty pin connector that is available. On my B5.5, I do not have an empty connector, just the empty slot on the Molex plug for it to snap into.

Does anyone know the part number for the pin connectors used on the back of the instrument cluster? The connector I'm talking about is tiny and a similar idea to VW P/N# 000-979-126 (metal "female" electrical connector used in almost every VW plug). It is a "female" connector as well, but it simply has a hole for a "male" pin to insert into on the back of the tach.

I already searched the ETKA link above and couldn't find a pic with the detail I was looking for. Like many things, I'm assuming it is part of a huge harness. Thanks!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
The blue plastic cluster connector is:

1J0 972 977 D

The green one is similar, but I don't have it handy...

The part number for the wires is:

000 979 009

Each wire includes two connectors, one at each end.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I remember right it is slot 14 on the 36 pin connector. The slot is the only one with the tiny metal clip just waiting to be wired. I slid a small wire into this slot and crimped. No issues and icon is on.

I think the member above is talking about the VW repair wire that is used from the HL switch to the rear fog bulb??
I already stated the P/N for the switch and the rear bulb in my original post.

According to your profile, you have a B5. I have a B5.5 which is definitely different. I examined the connector very carefully; there is no metal clip waiting to accept a wire, so I'm hoping the bulb for the icon is even there.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
The B5.5 has the icon, you need a repair wire, if you plan to do lots of wiring extras find someone parting a passat and ask for the cluster harness and you can remove [pins to make repair wires out of, much cheaper.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As you may have found out by now, the pins are not available individually. The only ways to get them are to order the repair wires or to order a connector that uses them, such as the 32-pin cluster connector. That connecter *should* be loaded with blank pins.

--Chris

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
As you may have found out by now, the pins are not available individually. The only ways to get them are to order the repair wires or to order a connector that uses them, such as the 32-pin cluster connector. That connecter *should* be loaded with blank pins.

--Chris
Only B5's were loaded with Blanks, B5.5 were not.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies to this thread. I put this project on the back burner for a few weeks but went to the dealer today with the P/N and got the correct repair wire. Thank you Phiow for the P/N! I plan to finish the dash icon activation tonight and report back!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Success!!! That was incredibly easy! It took me more time to assemble the tools needed to cut some wire, solder, and heat shrink some insulation over the bare wire than to actually do the work. I now have the icon illuminating with the rear fog being on! Thanks all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts