Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you test an oxygen sensor to see if it is functioning properly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
slimebucket said:
My oxygen sensor is out, I am running rich right now. You can tell by you jumpy idle and when shifting into gears your RPM's dip down. Also the car kind of runs a little rough from speeds 0-40mph, but your CEL should come on and tell you.

Rich :)
Well I have a CEL and one of the things it says could be wrong is O2 sensors. The thing is I don't want to start replacing things if they are working.
 

·
PassatWorld Staff
Joined
·
12,264 Posts
slimebucket said:
... your O2 sensor is in your intake pipe!
Rich, I hope you're being sarcastic...

The Bentley manual gives a complete procedure for testing an O2 sensor.

How many miles do you have on your car? Modern O2 sensors will last about 100K miles under normal circumstances. If you have that many miles on your car and you suspect bad O2 sensors and you are getting codes pointing to the O2 sensors, then it would not be a waste of money to buy new ones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,011 Posts
Rusty said:
slimebucket said:
... your O2 sensor is in your intake pipe!
Rich, I hope you're being sarcastic...

The Bentley manual gives a complete procedure for testing an O2 sensor.

How many miles do you have on your car? Modern O2 sensors will last about 100K miles under normal circumstances. If you have that many miles on your car and you suspect bad O2 sensors and you are getting codes pointing to the O2 sensors, then it would not be a waste of money to buy new ones.
I had malfunction of B1 O2 sensor on 60k, but then again I am not sure what kind of fuel we have here :suspicio: :( lot of additives)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slimebucket said:
Ok well all you need to do is have a mechanic replace that O2 sensor.

Rich :)

What do you mean you dont know where to start, your O2 sensor is in your intake pipe!
I was under the impression my car has 2 O2 sensors, 1 pre-cat 1 after-cat.

My car has 41,000 miles.

Can someone post the Bentley info on testing the O2 sensors. It would make a great info forum topic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nenad said:
Most sure way is Vag-Com, like always. It will give you full insight on each O2
Really? VAG-COM will test each O2 sensor and tell if it is working correctly?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,011 Posts
a4passata6 said:
Nenad said:
Most sure way is Vag-Com, like always. It will give you full insight on each O2
Really? VAG-COM will test each O2 sensor and tell if it is working correctly?
It gives you real time voltage output, you can see if O2 is inside stock parameters or out and also if it is fully dead. With my B1 O2 was that case it was giving totaly wrong V and than not working at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nenad said:
a4passata6 said:
Nenad said:
Most sure way is Vag-Com, like always. It will give you full insight on each O2
Really? VAG-COM will test each O2 sensor and tell if it is working correctly?
It gives you real time voltage output, you can see if O2 is inside stock parameters or out and also if it is fully dead. With my B1 O2 was that case it was giving totaly wrong V and than not working at all.
Just another reason why I NEED a VAG-COM. :bow:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,719 Posts
i just had to replace the one inanother car

my br-3 can read o2 sensor volatages

not that i needed that all the codes kept coming up as bank1

so we replaced it ( a realy bitch to get out , we basicly had to cut it in half break it off and put pipe on are ratchet to get it off)

but now everything is cool
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top