Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats up everyone, I've had a check engine light for a while now. I went to the dealer and they told me I had to replace my front and rear oxygen sensors. I know if I dont get it fixed eventually my cat convert will be ruined. I been wanting to repair it but they say with parts alone it will be close to a stack ( 1000 dollars) and I just dont have that kind of money. So my questions are you guys think if I brought the parts myself I have checked online and the oem replacements are like half what I would pay the dealer? anyone did this type of repair and know a legit site that has oem parts for a 00 B5 . You think the dealer would use parts I order myself? and is this a repair I could do myself ( probably not but I am poor)? I have noticed the my gas is going like water I am having to fill up like every five days when I use to be able to go almost two weeks before I had to (unless I did a usual amount of driving)?

thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
^^yes.

Dwei -- what engine do you have? (1.8T or V6?)

It's DIY, but you may need a special tool to reach the post-cat sensor.

IIRC, your pre-cat sensor is a 4-wire (narrowband), so it'll cost much less than the 5-wire (wideband) sensor on newer model years. The post-cat sensor is a 4-wire on all passats.

I doubt a dealer would let you bring in the parts. They certainly wont provide any warranty with them.

$1000 is an absurd price for two 02 sensors... they should be less than $100 each. $1000 for a new cat is possible, however (and you'd still have to replace the 02 sensors).

Get a 2nd opinion from an indy shop near you before spending $ at the dealer.

·
Registered
193 Posts
oxygen sensors

start doing a search on this site & a google search for sensors. also, I c that u r in florida, the dealers down here let u bring in your own parts. I had my front end done at classic in orlando ( good rating for repairs ). U should b able to save quite a bit over the dealer price. there's a section where u can bring up the dealer ratings in florida.

·
Founder of the STFA
8,667 Posts
First, if you already paid them to scan fault codes, ask them what specific codes they were and post them up here. If they won't tell you, go to Autozone and get them read. The front sensor is the one that affects how the car performs, the rear is just an emission snitch. Without knowing what fault codes you have, tough to say if you need both or not. My thinking is if money is tight and your front sensor is bad, you do it DIY and live with a CEL for the rear sensor until you can pay for it, even if you have an indy do that one for you. Rear sensor is about $125 plus probably a minimum 1 hour labor charge. Unless you need emission testing soon, you can drive around indefinitely with a bad rear sensor and be no worse off than seeing the light all the time, wondering if it's ONLY the rear O2 sensor!

If you have average mechanical ability you should be able to handle the front yourself for under $100 including tools! ECS Tuning has a four wire sensor for the front that is somewhat universal for $22.95. I replaced one on my AUG code Passat with a generic 5 wire Bosch sensor from ECS for 1/2 the price of the AUG specified part The only difference was the wiring was 6-8" shorter and I had to route it a little differently, no problem.

·
the deal finder!
15,574 Posts
and don't worry too much about the rear sensor for now. the rear is strictly for emissions, and won't affect performance. make sure everything else works first. you may get a CEL and probably wouldn't pass smog with a bad rear o2 though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Its a pretty simple job to do yourself, I have replaced one on a Ford Ka, the part cost me £50, and I've seen them on the Passat while I've been crawling about underneath doing other things.

I can't see how they justify the what they quoted you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts