Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I have bushy eyebrows, and enjoy woodworking, but that doesn't mean I am turning into Andy Rooney - yet.

The membership here has saved me thousands over the almost 12 years of Passat ownership, I hope I have helped others to the same. However I do have some pet peeves that I want to air if for no other reason than to vent - I don't expect solutions.

Recently, the following make me angry:

1. Kids that purchase a B5 for less than $4k and are shocked that these cars are so sensitive to use of proprietary or expensive fluids or parts.
2. Owners that drop the suspension and are upset or clueless of what might result from same.
3. Owners that try to delete emissions devices because they want more power, want to piss on the man, can't afford the proper repair or the car in the first place.
4. Posters that fail to mention that their special, unique problem started with some specific mod, but in their wealth of experience it CAN'T BE RELATED! prime example: delete factory radio.
5. New B5 owners that have not read the manual that came with the car and want us to just give them the highlights to save them the effort.

I admit that I am not as charitable to the younger, less affluent owners that are now perhaps the majority of B5 / B5.5 owners, but I keep my participation at PW because I enjoy learning new things. Thanks for being patient with me.

Ken

·
Registered
26,083 Posts
$4K is pretty high now, the cheap ones are well under $3K and have a host of issues.

BTW, I don't think this thread is BH worthy (yet).

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
$4K is pretty high now, the cheap ones are well under $3K and have a host of issues.

BTW, I don't think this thread is BH worthy (yet).
On the pricing...everything is more expensive in Canada !!

As to the post in BH, I did it to prevent a flame war from those that might personally identify with my rant points. Besides, only veteran PW members even frequent BH, sort of the adult lounge with comfy chairs :eek:)

·
Registered
26,083 Posts
I understand. I find some of the latest buyers irritating at times. They buy a 15 year old neglected B5 and complain about everything breaking.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I understand. I find some of the latest buyers irritating at times. They buy a 15 year old neglected B5 and complain about everything breaking.
So true.
And then they go and trash talk German engineering.
Down in the southern states it's I bit different, but up here in the northern section of the country, how many cars can you truly say are in as good a shape as a 15 year old Passat.
Most other cars that age are so rotted out they are a danger to even have on the road.

·
Registered
26,083 Posts
I think the problem down here is that all cars still generally look good after 15 years, so people expect they are in great shape mechanically as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
"5. New B5 owners that have not read the manual that came with the car and want us to just give them the highlights to save them the effort."
Folks like these obviously haven't heard the old adage:
"When all else fails, read the instructions!"

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I am new to VW. I have just gotten a 01 Passat V6. (don't tell me it's a POS and I wasted my $$$) I knew it has issues when buying it. I didn't realize the magnitude amounts of sensors, relays and what not. BUT!

The only complaints I have at this time is the lousy placement of the computers (on the floorboards), pretty cheap interior plastic clips along with the previous owner lol

The car is fun to drive. It's got me back working under the hood. I just hope it doesn't nickel and dime me to my grave

jj

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am new to VW. I have just gotten a 01 Passat V6. (don't tell me it's a POS and I wasted my $$$) I knew it has issues when buying it. I didn't realize the magnitude amounts of sensors, relays and what not. BUT!

The only complaints I have at this time is the lousy placement of the computers (on the floorboards), pretty cheap interior plastic clips along with the previous owner lol

The car is fun to drive. It's got me back working under the hood. I just hope it doesn't nickel and dime me to my grave

jj
Sounds like you're pleased with the car so far. Good luck, and enjoy the drive!

·
Administrator
23,302 Posts

jj
I can assure you those "cheap plastic clips" were pretty stout 14 years ago. Plastic does not age well.

·
What time is Matlock on?
17,316 Posts
I had Greta for about 8 years.....broke her, built her and LOVED being on here. Shoot.....met some really good and still close friends on here. This place is nothing like what it was.....

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So yesterday before my wife and I were getting ....ahem....ready....she starts talking about how I should sell the Passat. I leaned over and told her this was not good sex talk :eek:)

See what VW ownership does to you! fer crying out loud!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
1. Kids that purchase a B5 for less than $4k and are shocked that these cars are so sensitive to use of proprietary or expensive fluids or parts.
2. Owners that drop the suspension and are upset or clueless of what might result from same.
3. Owners that try to delete emissions devices because they want more power, want to piss on the man, can't afford the proper repair or the car in the first place.
4. Posters that fail to mention that their special, unique problem started with some specific mod, but in their wealth of experience it CAN'T BE RELATED! prime example: delete factory radio.
5. New B5 owners that have not read the manual that came with the car and want us to just give them the highlights to save them the effort.
6: Failure to use the search function on the site.
I threw in #6 since it's just as relevant. I :lol: when I think about the life lessons some have yet to learn then compare those with all the automotive "lessons" I had learned from about 1976 (things were simpler then, automotive speaking).

Lower your expectations by four fifths (80%) and you won't get quite as angry. You'll sleep better at night too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm new also to VW. I purchased a b5 for 650. The lady (I've named her Joan Rivers) had a decent amount of work needed to be done, which still isn't all done yet. The main reason why I scored Joan Rivers is because she had 1. High Milage and 2. No interior lights, door locks, sun roof, ect. sound familiar? ahem... the only complaint I have sides with jjpark, the placement of that damn CCM

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting posts. I'm not your typical VW enthusiast at all. I'm 56 years old, growing up in the 60s in my dad's '57 Oval Window Bug. In the 70s and 80's, I owned a few more air-cooled Bugs and then left VW for a while...until the company decided to bring the New Beetle to the table. At that time, New Beetles were next to impossible to get, so my introduction to water-cooled VWs was a 1996 Golf 5-speed in 2000. I joined a local VW club in 2002 with the Golf and tried one more Old School 1969 Beetle for club events. I understand that the old air breathers were far simpler to work on, but one still has to be mechanically inclined to even do that, and you're reading this from someone that has trouble changing windshield wiper blades! Anyway, after that '69 Bug left me stranded hundreds of miles from home for the 6th time, I finally got a New Beetle in 2009. Two years earlier, I traded the Golf for a brand new 2007 2.0T Passat and just loved that car. To make a long story short, I tried in vain to bring back the sensation that New Beetles spawned back in 1998 to no avail, and the biggest mistake I made was trading that '07 Passat in for another New Beetle in late 2012. Over the next 3 years, the water-Beetle events got smaller and smaller (there are only about 40-50 people in the entire United States that are willing to go to these gatherings, and half of them cancel at the last minute, right? Well, all-VW shows and get-togethers are plentiful, and I greatly missed 4 doors and a much-better riding car, so I'm back in a Passat! But here's what sets me apart from most VW enthusiasts: I like Bone Stock, even if they are late-model cars, and will put them in VW shows, anyway! My current ride is a 2005 GL with auto, steel wheels and factory plastic hubcaps, and I don't care! I'm there for the VW camaraderie and to support clubs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts