1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OWNED
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:bow: :bow:
I know you guys didn’t even know your national team played yesterday. And were probably more worried on hockey or basketball. The U.S. absolutely showed dominance last night. The score was only 1-0 but it finally a great game to watch. The US showed tactical play with some outstanding individual plays.

In 6 of the last 8 meetings the US has beat Mexico including the world cup.

Read on if you are interested

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/040429/1/13l2.html

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Great game, with some impressive runs from Donovan, though his finishing needs to improve a bit. Mexico was without one of their key players (Blanco, I think) due to passport problems, but not sure if he would have been enough. The US looked very overpowering for most of the game.

I'm going back home to Scotland for a while to watch some real football, though. :wink:

·
Carlos Spicyweiner
7,048 Posts
vwfam said:
OWNED
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:bow: :bow:
I know you guys didn’t even know your national team played yesterday. And were probably more worried on hockey or basketball. The U.S. absolutely showed dominance last night. The score was only 1-0 but it finally a great game to watch. The US showed tactical play with some outstanding individual plays.

In 6 of the last 8 meetings the US has beat Mexico including the world cup.

Read on if you are interested

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/040429/1/13l2.html
WHat is this Lacrosse or something? Rugby? Cricket?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Postman said:
WHat is this Lacrosse or something? Rugby? Cricket?
Rugby, okay, maybe, but cricket? Ouch, that hurts :wink:

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I sure wanted to see that game. It was here in Dallas too! But, it was also my daughter's birthday yesterday and we took her out to dinner. Glad for the US win though. And they did it without a number of their usual World Cup team starters.

Go USA!

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Got stuck in traffic trying to go home because of this game. Never seen so many Mexican flags hanging out of trucks with stick on body kits before.

Would have liked to see the game though.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I saw the goal on Telemundo as it happened live and it was awesome!

I love it when we beat Mexico because they think they are so much better than us in soccer, but that isn't the case anymore.... 6 of the last 8... :lol:

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
LoneStarPoke said:
I saw the goal on Telemundo as it happened live and it was awesome!

I love it when we beat Mexico because they think they are so much better than us in soccer, but that isn't the case anymore.... 6 of the last 8... :lol:
That doesnt mean we are better ;)

American league has a long way to go....besides most players in it are not from US anyways.

But its really nice to see a "real sport" grow in US.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
vwfam said:
funny guys....but I guess its expected :cry: :cry:
Yes, not everyone here is a big fan of the World sport of Soccer, but I sure as hell am. Played since I was 5.

If I could get the Fox World channel without a 2nd mortgage, I would watch it every day. If I could get cable with just one channel, that would be it. "Mi Vida."

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
passaturbonium said:
American league has a long way to go....besides most players in it are not from US anyways.
In the MLS, I think that's correct; however, in last nite's match, all but one player for the US (Casey who I think plays in Germany) are products of the MLS.

Note: I am not a huge supporter of the MLS, more like SPL and EPL. :)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
coloradob5 said:
If I could get the Fox World channel without a 2nd mortgage, I would watch it every day. If I could get cable with just one channel, that would be it. "Mi Vida."
You must have Comcast then :wink: Get DirecTV and the sport package, it wasn't too bad when I got it. Fox Sports World has some decent stuff, but I wish they would carry Eurosport packages -- top class.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
passaturbonium said:
That doesnt mean we are better ;)

But its really nice to see a "real sport" grow in US.
I would disagree. since the horrible showing of 98 the US has more than improved they have devleoped their own style.

in terms of comparing the leagues, they are not much different other than pay & attendance at the stadium. the skills between the 2 leagues are very comparable. every club team all ove rthe world is allowed a minimum amont of foreign players and for the Mexican league only one team carries all Mexican born players (and they do not win many competitions)

and just like the US national team has 2-3 players that became US citizens, I can name more than handfull of other countries that have foreign players playing for the national team that became citizens of that country Examples (Mexico, Japan, Portugal....)

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
passaturbonium said:
and just like the US national team has 2-3 players that became US citizens, I can name more than handfull of other countries that have foreign players playing for the national team that became citizens of that country Examples (Mexico, Japan, Portugal....)
That's because FIFA relaxed the rules on eligibility; only one of your grandparents had to have been born in or a citizen of the country you want to play for. It's lame, and they'll probably expand it further!!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
20 Participants
passaturbonium
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing