Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

61 - 80 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Thank you. I have AWM? Does that mean This won't fit since it's a 2005? Should I be looking for a different pcv valve?
Do you have AWM? It will say so on the engine, it should be engraved in a tab on the engine in the front top, right of the oil cap. I just figured you did. I have a 2003 1.8T and it's AWM. ETKA only has one listed as the engine code for 4 cyl (1.8T) 03/01 - 05/05:

Regarding the part 035103245A for PCV valve that is probably wrong. VW parts says for its fitment "To Chassis/VIN 1J-1-069 999. To Chassis/VIN 8E-3-040 000. To Chassis/VIN 9M-4-042 774." And then it only lists 1998 as a compatible year. If you have like what I showed you in the photo where it branches off you'll need 06B103245 instead. ETKA confirms. I suggest you download a copy of B5.5 ETKA, see here and click on download all in the google drive and save it all to a folder. Open "1 engine, clutch.pdf", page 23. Note the Model column will say AWM (I'll assume that's your engine) and that's very important, there are other engines as well in different diagrams and you don't want the wrong parts.

Nope budget is not exceeded yet. I'd rather do it right.
See how you feel about doing it "right" after you spend $1000. These old cars are money pits, only keep em if you like driving em.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
By doing it right I mean replacing the parts that need replacing with the right stuff. My hopeful budget to get it running right is about $1k. I'm up to about $500 so far after replacing the cooling components.

We'll see! I figure $1500 at the most cause I can still part it out and get close to what I spend.

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
First off, you'll need to know what engine code you have.

But just as an example, a full on complete Genuine Audi/VW emissions service kit is only $600.
Complete emissions kit - AWM

·
Administrator
23,408 Posts
You can use that valve and just cap the port at the valve cover that the extra hose connects to on the late AWM PCV valve. Late AWM Bleeder valve

For the love of Mike, please don't use ECS if you are on a budget or value your time.

There are a bunch of other places I would rather send my money to. FCPeuro.com for instance. Amazon is another good place for finding little common parts. If you want to redo the entire PCV system, you want the 034 Motorsports Silicone kit You DO NOT want to go
back to OEM with this. I have it on mine and it was almost TOO easy to install.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
You can use that valve and just cap the port at the valve cover that the extra hose connects to on the late AWM PCV valve. Late AWM Bleeder valve

For the love of Mike, please don't use ECS if you are on a budget or value your time.

There are a bunch of other places I would rather send my money to. FCPeuro.com for instance. Amazon is another good place for finding little common parts. If you want to redo the entire PCV system, you want the 034 Motorsports Silicone kit You DO NOT want to go
back to OEM with this. I have it on mine and it was almost TOO easy to install.
View attachment 97881
Wanna come help me install it? 😆

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
You are correct!
I should have mentioned that too along with the other options.
I was using the most extreme case of an example to show the OP would still be well within budget.
Still not functioning at 100% after Thursday. :p

·
Administrator
23,408 Posts
Wanna come help me install it? 😆
If you could have picked a worse time to get a free car to work on and get help from me, this would be it, :ROFLMAO:
My wife is a retail manager, so that makes me pretty much a single dad for the next month or so. If I didn't have family in town this weekend or today even, I would. I am free most Saturdays, though.

Get the cooling fixed and bring it up here for the PCV :)

I've been all through my AWM over the last 13 years. I can spot any problems with yours, I'm sure.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
If you could have picked a worse time to get a free car to work on and get help from me, this would be it, :ROFLMAO:
My wife is a retail manager, so that makes me pretty much a single dad for the next month or so. If I didn't have family in town this weekend or today even, I would. I am free most Saturdays, though.

Get the cooling fixed and bring it up here for the PCV :)

I've been all through my AWM over the last 13 years. I can spot any problems with yours, I'm sure.
I'd have to order that kit anyways. Can I run it with that breather hose in that condition? I got a new hose but the ring it goes into is filled with bits of the old hose and I can't get the plastic nipple out of the rubber hose it goes in. I'll send a picture later haha.

But yes, absolutely cooling first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Has anyone here use one of those coolant pump things that they rent at Advance Auto parts to properly bleed the system? Is that something that would work? I guess it seals the overflow cap and you pump it up to push the coolant through the system.

Just wondering if that would work for our cars. I believe I have been doing it right but I want to be absolutely certain.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Has anyone here use one of those coolant pump things that they rent at Advance Auto parts to properly bleed the system? Is that something that would work? I guess it seals the overflow cap and you pump it up to push the coolant through the system.

Just wondering if that would work for our cars. I believe I have been doing it right but I want to be absolutely certain.
Yes, I bought the Schwaben from .......drum roll please.....ECS, part ES#2712734. It did what it was supposed to, collapsed the radiator hoses with about 100psi applied. It was tricky getting a stable seal with the adapters.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #72

Been running 90 minutes without a thermostat in. I'm starting to wonder if my brand new thermostat was bad out of the box. Even though it worked outside the car with a heat gun.

I guess I'll go buy another. Should I drop a jiggle hole in it or do these cars not like that?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I bought a Motorad fail safe thermostat from autozone a month or two ago. I don't remember whether it had a hole but it doesn't look like it from this amazon pic. Some don't I guess. Anyway so far so good.

I'd also get a coolant tester to make sure you have the right ratio of G12 coolant to distilled water. They are only a few dollars. I bought a PEAK one I think from autozone or advanceauto. According to bentley manual ideally you'd want 50/50 (-35C) except warm climates you can do G12 at 40% (-25C) or for extra frost protection you can do G12 at 60% (-40C). Anything over is going to reduce the ability to cool. Anything under reduces corrosion and frost protection. An exact mix of G13/distilled 50/50 my coolant tester will show -20C so the testers aren't exact but they'll give you an idea.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Have any of you run without a thermostat for a while? What would you expect a general temperature range for running in that situation would be? I'm talking long term idling. Like running for an hour or more just idling.

I ran without a thermostat today for 90 minutes and it hovered around 199F. And it took a long damn time to get there. Is that about what you'd expect?

·
Administrator
23,408 Posts
Have any of you run without a thermostat for a while? What would you expect a general temperature range for running in that situation would be? I'm talking long term idling. Like running for an hour or more just idling.

I ran without a thermostat today for 90 minutes and it hovered around 199F. And it took a long damn time to get there. Is that about what you'd expect?
Yes, it will take a while to come up to temp because you are trying to heat up the entire cooling system at once WHILE it is being circulated through the radiator. The thermostat regulates the amount of coolant coming out of the block to be cooled to maintain a specific temperature and ensure the engine warms up quickly for best operating efficiency. You probably knew that, but just for others reading and learning.

Since it will take a long time to come up to temp, you will get a CEL for P1281 for cooling system performance. It detects that it took longer than it should under that operating condition to come up to temperature. I believe the thresholds are more than 3 minutes, but less than an hour.

61 - 80 of 135 Posts