Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2001 B5 Passat wagon, with the awm 1.8 l turbo. My main goal is to tear the motor out, replace the internals and allow for mo powah, while keeping reliability.

I can turn a wrench, but researching parts makes me useless.

Anyone able to help me find a good rebuild kit and turbo upgrade. I'm pulling the motor this weekend, and plan to drop off at the machine shop next week, but I need to know my part specs for boring, if any is needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2001 B5 Passat wagon, with the awm 1.8 l turbo. My main goal is to tear the motor out, replace the internals and allow for mo powah, while keeping reliability.

I can turn a wrench, but researching parts makes me useless.

Anyone able to help me find a good rebuild kit and turbo upgrade. I'm pulling the motor this weekend, and plan to drop off at the machine shop next week, but I need to know my part specs for boring, if any is needed.
And yes, I know motor rebuild is not necessary to hit 300hp in these. But....

It is my first step, then ECU, injectors, turbo/intake/intercooler, Exhaust plus cutaway switch to dump.

I plan on going ham.

·
Registered
5,544 Posts
My main goal is to tear the motor out, replace the internals and allow for mo powah, while keeping reliability.
A worthy goal, but be realistic about the engine. Unless you have evidence of problems: low oil pressure, knocks, clatter, or smoke, then consider that the engine may be OK for now. 1.8T engines are not known for wearing out unless sludged from improper oil, or overheated due to a cooling system failure.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you have a B5.5 for future reference.
Indeed I do.
A worthy goal, but be realistic about the engine. Unless you have evidence of problems: low oil pressure, knocks, clatter, or smoke, then consider that the engine may be OK for now. 1.8T engines are not known for wearing out unless sludged from improper oil, or overheated due to a cooling system failure.
I bought it with a tick. I paid $740 for the car. The "STOP" light comes on. I want to heavily mod it motor-wise. I'm not looking to drag race it and hit 9's, but I'd also like to make the late night freeway drives alot shorter, and spicier lol

I want a 0 miles motor, I just need to know which direction to go before I take it in to get machined.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
tick is oil starvation,clogged oil pick up screen tube assembly, tons of mods available, Ko4 stage 1 or 2 tune, you do not need to over think it, just first oversize pistons//rings, new bearings, forged rods and go from there.

·
Registered
28,209 Posts
You should not need to bore unless the cylinders are scored. You can keep the stock pistons up to 300hp with no problems. Forged rods are the main upgrades you will need, forged pistons if you want more power. No headwork apart from cleaning, new guides, and seals.
Hopefully, you have a manual trans as the Tip will not hold 300hp for long.

Reactions: cchief22
1 - 8 of 8 Posts