Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had the 45K service done and the tech put 4.5 quarts in, which I think is the capacity for the 1.8T in the Jetta and Golf. My B5.5 takes 3.9 qts. and I think it's okay to put 4 qts. in now that the larger oil filter is used. As one would expect the oil level reads up the dipstick so I'm wondering if I should take it back to have the excess oil removed to prevent harm to the engine? Where are you Sharky, or any other VW techs with knowledge about this matter?

·
PassatWorld Staff
12,267 Posts
If it's just a bit above the full mark, don't worry about it. If it's way above the full mark, you should suck some out.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lithiumfox said:
It says in bentley manual for the 1.8T that 4.1L or 4.3quarts with filter change is how much oil is needed.
I've been living a lie ever since I bought my '02 GLS thinking it only took 3.9 quarts! After I read your post I looked in the owner's manual and confirmed it is 4.3 quarts. I MUST be dense. Duh! Thanks for setting me straight.:bowdown:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
alisin12 said:
Overfilling to excess can damage a catalytic converter on a deisel.
The only relation my GLS has to a diesel is the sound it makes at cold startup when the aux. air pump is running.:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts