Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The outsourcing of prized information technology jobs overseas has created tens of thousands of new jobs in the United States, according to a recent study commissioned by the information technology industry.
http://money.cnn.com/2004/03/30/news/economy/outsourcing/index.htm?cnn=yes

Hate to agree with this article, but thousands of jobs did indeed got created in the fast food industry :shock: . This explains why the government wants to classify hamburger flipper jobs as manufacturing. :suspicio:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
woulda, shoulda, coulda....

a trickle down approach to creating jobs? even if it were true, (which is purely speculative), the new jobs are not nearly as good as the lost ones.

If outsourcing is so great, why aren't we outsourcing any managment jobs? :???: :poke:

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Spirare said:
Why don;t we outsource the President if it's so cool? :suspicio:
hey...you may be on to something! :wink:

·
Registered
902 Posts
I don't know what to say about this one. I want to do more homework. I really don't like the idea of more regulations. If these companies are outsourcing to compete that's one thing...they shouldn't be restricted from doing that...on the other had...if it's being done solely to deepen the pockets of manegment.....then maybe some rules should be in place.

This is really a hard one..but my gut feeling is to leave this alone.....free trade is good trade.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
jimbob said:
woulda, shoulda, coulda....

a trickle down approach to creating jobs? even if it were true, (which is purely speculative), the new jobs are not nearly as good as the lost ones.

If outsourcing is so great, why aren't we outsourcing any managment jobs? :???: :poke:
yeah, I can trade my software job for a grocery bagging job; they already have my software job - and I can trade that for being a store clerk since in india, its not cost effective to bag our groceries remotely ;)

a job is a job, right?

sheesh..

·
Registered
5,564 Posts
I hear you. I'm going back to blue collar work I guess. We all know that sooner or later, something will 'physically' break. For what I do, it's actually not bad money replacing HDD, sys.board, CPU, mem. or NVRAM. Just a few minutes.

I don't learn much though. I'm just not motivated I guess. Part of me misses the Sys. Admin. gig but to not wear a pager is rather priceless!

I guess if I get bored, I could build me a Linux box.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
521 Posts
You have to admit there's a lot of irony here. The software and hardware we develop has been great for corporate "efficiency" which has allowed our customers to downsize. And we in the software/hardware/networking industry are responsible for the very technology that allows our own jobs to be outsourced.
Karma?

·
Registered
521 Posts
We are also here on Cb5, celebrating our german engineered cars. So now we are going to cry "Buy American"?

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
JettaHead said:
You have to admit there's a lot of irony here. The software and hardware we develop has been great for corporate "efficiency" which has allowed our customers to downsize. And we in the software/hardware/networking industry are responsible for the very technology that allows our own jobs to be outsourced.
Karma?
and the manufacturing jobs that build things that make us more efficient, also has the same end effect.

we all produce and consume and its a great circle.

still doesn't give us the right to sell our own people out.

as someone on fark [well] said, 'its like we're cutting off pieces of us, bit by bit'

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/biztech/03/31/india.aol.ap/index.html

I love this quote:

A development center in India also helps U.S. companies work on a 24-hour cycle, because of the nearly half-day time difference.
I speak from experience here - this is the most LAME excuse I've heard in a long time! grrr!!

if anything, being in an opposite shift HURTS co-development. I've had to rely almost entirely on email to track projects that I worked on, that had bangalore engineers working on it along with california engineers. we lost time, our designs suffered and MUCH was lost in the lack of communication due to the email-only style of development.

AOL laid off 450 software developers in California in December and closed two offices in the state. This came months after it laid off 50 employees at its Mountain View-based Netscape Communications unit.
thanks for selling US out, asswipes ;( ;(

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Lets all give thanks to the capitolist class of society, the rich and the few who hold power, for all the outsourcing thats happening. So they can stay in power...just like how almost EVERY congress member is a rich white male and EVERY president has been a rich white male...time for a change people.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
There's a cu-n-paste article in my blog here that talks about outsourcing. Some good insights on it, from another programmer.

I still pretty firmly believe that all these asshats touting offshoring will be looking for work when the rest of upper management sees that in reality, and in the bottom line the project that was 1/2 the cost took 4x longer so didn't save squat. Not to mention in most cases will probably be poorly constructed, and not well thought out.

I speak from experience on some of this since there are currently about 40 consultants from our offshore contractor in house rotating on work visas every three months, plus a few dozen more in India.

A lot of phds and what nots in IT, doesn't really make up for experience.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
oh yeah and about the whole creating jobs things... From what I can the gov't is happy with turning America into a blue collar only country. I guess we can be the McDonalds and BK country and the rest of the world can be inventing things and advancing technology, we'll just kick back and flip burgers and bag groceries.... :evil:

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
My former employer who laid me off in 2002 to send my job to India where 4 or 5 people would be doing my job for at least half of my salary in US$. The only problem was the cost to do it is going to take the company about 7 years to break even.

Why? Well the company relied on another company who initially developed the website and that company was about to fail. They got this deal, closed a bunch of ofices and laid off most of their US staff and beefed up their presence in India (the development firm).

In the end, the decision was made by the VP of technology, our VP was a non technical person who had no understanding of technology or how it related to our company. After that deal since it "saved" us so much money he was moved over to a more appropriate VP position in the company an a deserving technically oriented person was put in place as the VP.

Of course my former company was in some...legal trouble last year and has seen a rapid drop in assets and employees. The company that developed the website came within inches of failing in late 2001 - 2002 and is recovering right now because they pushed everything to India.

In the end, there was heat to reduce cost, even though it cost the company an exponential amount to do it up front. In the end I wouldn't be suprised if it comes back over before the break even point. I hear nothing but bad things from those still left behind that have to deal directly with the folks in India. 11 hour time difference from our time is a big deal. They work around the clock there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
14 Participants
linux-works
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing