Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I looked but did not find... Is there a write-up on how to replace the tempature gauge on the car? I have a 98 1.8T, it works, I just don't belive the gauge is true to the tempature! How much do they run?
TIA
Ryan :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I don't know where the write up is, but I do know the guage is on a bracket near the lower middle front of the radiator. Mine was reading really high on hot sunny days. I found out that the bracket that the held the gauge was broken and the gauge was hanging in front of the bumper and therefore not getting much air flow. I ordered a new bracket, but haven't received it yet. Check to see if your bracket is broken. Part number is 8D0820536C.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
i dont think mine is working right either, it said it was 112 outside today, but it was only 90.

·
Registered
621 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
The temp gage is located in front of the lower end of the radiator. On my B5.5 1.8T I can access it by just pulling out the middle third of the lower grill. There are two parts: (1) a "harness" that terminates the wires and allows the sensor to plug in, and (2) the sensor itself. The sensor is a thermistor (a resistor that changes resistance based on temperature). I don't have the p/n's handy, but let me know if you need them and I'll check again. (Your p/n's may be different from mine if you don't have a 2001.5 B5.5 1.8T wagon).

I have been tinkering with an intake temp gage wired in parallel with the ambient temp gage - I ended up going with a non-vw thermistor ($2) instead of the OEM VW part for approx $80. :shock:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
No write up... it's just plug-and-play with the sensor: pull the old one out of the harness and put the new one in. I'll take a pic tonight and post it.

Do you have an ohmmeter or multimeter? We can check the sensor's resistance/temperature curve to see if it's still working correctly (indicating a wiring problem somewhere else in the system).

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Also depends on what you are driving on. Sitting in stopped Atlanta traffic I saw the guage hit 103 and on black asphalt it ws probably true. Temp according to am radio was 92. If you were on grass it wouldn;t be so bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.