Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know, this will likely be forever lost in the off-topic forum, but I wanted to get it out in the open before it happened, and so people could read it.

I have noticed issues with public hosting sites being such a pain in the A**. They limit usage and prevent linking, etc. to other sites, like this. Also, as Steve (Scuba2001) noticed, people can just take our user's pictures and sell items on Ebay with them.

Has anyone given thought to someone here setting up a server for use by our community?

I was thinking about a server on a spare T1 connection that could be used to host pics. We could set it up so people would have to log in once, with their CB5 credentials and then when they linked to the server, their login here would be recognized and they'd be able to upload and down load all they wanted.

It could be set to remember them (using tokens, which are the network/user versions of cookies, but that expire with time), and only allow authorized people to right click pics. Anyone can view, but only people willing to be known to the system or already known could get in.

Granted, they could do a print screen and chop a photo out of that, but most people are not so determined to do that.

A little extreme, I know, but the right people would always have access and it would keep out all but the most determined riff-raff.

And, by being our own setup, we would have less X problems and no silly monthly bandwidth issues, etc.

I hate it when I go into the info forum to see how someone fixed a problem, and they had a killer write-up, only to have the pictures I need not be there because some server somewhere (Lord only knows where) has timed-out, exceeded their bandwidth or expired and the pics are gone.

Just a thought I have been toying with,

Mark

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Yeah, I know its a mess. Imagestation sucks lately too becuase the servers have been down, etc.

There have been a few memebrs that have set this up already, just harder for me to do FTP and resize my own photos, etc. Imagestation is nice enough to do that for me arleady.

Steve

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
I dont think that is going to solve the problem, they can copy the pictures and host themselves, maybe we should put some sort of stamp on our pictures with our names our clubb5 or something.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
But you CAN disable right click....like he stated above.
That is the easiest think to bypass.
go to a webpage that has a right click disabled.
click in view and source. here you go the link for the image is there.
if you want to copy the image just copy the link open it in a new window and you are good to go.

·
Registered
5,860 Posts
I think it would be a good idea to have ClubB5 own pictures station, that only :b5: ers can access with their own password, and that would automatically add the club :b5: logo on all pics that are posted. At least if anyone uses them, it would reconized?. I do not know anything about this but i like the idea....Rah.... :b5: :thumbup: .

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
6 Participants
RAH
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing