Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
That would definitely suck, especially if you own one of the cars that was in the parking lot and you were only spectating at this event. :(

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Leave it to a Corvette driver... ;) :poke:

Seriously though, what a dumbass.

I don't autocross (running around some cones in a parking lot in second gear doesn't really interest me - and 2nd gear in this case seems to have been beyond the driver's capability ;) ) but it sounds like there definitely were issues with course design and safety buffers. They're very lucky no one was seriously hurt.

·
Registered
41 Posts
but it sounds like there definitely were issues with course design and safety buffers.
no there wasnt. The course was within scca specs and there was plenty of room to get a car stopped. I dont get how people are saying the course was setup wrong when the driver admits to not getting on the brakes :crazy:

That smashed celica belongs to a good friend of mine who also was the safety steward that day and he wouldnt have approved a course that wasnt safe. Its impossible to make a course that is 100% accident proof.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
no there wasnt. The course was within scca specs and there was plenty of room to get a car stopped. I dont get how people are saying the course was setup wrong when the driver admits to not getting on the brakes :crazy:

That smashed celica belongs to a good friend of mine who also was the safety steward that day and he wouldnt have approved a course that wasnt safe. Its impossible to make a course that is 100% accident proof.
I certainly wasn't there, so I don't know. I also haven't seen any clear illustrations of the course. However, based on what I've read, perhaps you can explain why cars were allowed to park in the run out area at the end of a straight-away? That is a safety issue. Again, I don't auto-cross but in every driving event I've ever participated in (and that's quite a few, although they are high-speed events on true road courses) such a condition would never be allowed for this very reason. So, the driver was a bonehead and missed the brake. Instead, what if he did everything right but the brakes went out? Course design and event management must take such factors into consideration.

No one is suggesting that courses are designed to be "100% accident proof". But risk management is always a consideration. From my perspective, there appears to be contributing factors in addition to gross driver error. Again based in part on comments from others familar with the area, it sounds if there were issues with the safety margins and that is the responsibility of the event officials. This in no way absolves the driver from his role. But again, I wasn't there so I won't speculate any further.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I certainly wasn't there, so I don't know. I also haven't seen any clear illustrations of the course. However, based on what I've read, perhaps you can explain why cars were allowed to park in the run out area at the end of a straight-away? That is a safety issue
Fair enough....the reason why is because of space and the way the lot is.
It is not uncommon at all to have the finish pointing at cars, there is always more than enough room to stop the car.

I don't auto-cross but in every driving event I've ever participated in (and that's quite a few, although they are high-speed events on true road courses
Autocross is different than road racing. On a typical autocross course in the club I run with I'll see 45-50 at the fastest point. There was a corner right before the finish lights which slows the car down and then there is a run off area to stop. My isuzu with nothing fancy for brakes could have stopped in that distance with no trouble at all....how much space does a porche like the one in the accident need?
what if he did everything right but the brakes went out?
Then it would be nobody's fault....but there is always that lever between the seats..not the best but its better than nothing.

·
Registered
15,829 Posts
How fast would you estimate he should be coming across the line when he just took a corner to slow him down? If he got on the clutch instead of the brake, he would've at least been coasting by the time he hit the cars, did he just freeze up? Did he hit the brakes eventually?

I don't autocross but I've attended a few, and at one, the finish was a short straight out of a tight corner, so everyone was getting on it out of the corner. A certain turbo Porsche 911 would have the turbo kick in just before he crossed the line, it took him the full remainder of the parking lot to stop every time. (this would've been back in the 80s sometime)

I'm sure the course was laid out in spec, but I sure would never park where the racing cars were exiting right at me! <g>

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
How fast would you estimate he should be coming across the line when he just took a corner to slow him down? If he got on the clutch instead of the brake, he would've at least been coasting by the time he hit the cars, did he just freeze up? Did he hit the brakes eventually?
Going back to the driver, I just don't understand his supposed explanation for how the accident occured. So, he's used to driving an automatic. OK. I'm not sure I understand how that explains depressing the clutch instead of the brake.

When driving a manual, your left foot works the clutch. Your right foot works the brake and gas. How do you confuse this? Not doubting that it could happen, I just don't know how. Maybe someone can shed some light on that.

I remember going from a manual to an automatic one time and trying to depress the non-existant clutch as I was rolling to a stop. Instead I got the brake pedal hard. That was nice. :rolleyes: ...but obviously a different situation.

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
Fair enough....the reason why is because of space and the way the lot is.

It is not uncommon at all to have the finish pointing at cars, there is always more than enough room to stop the car.
Almost always, in this case.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts