Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 Passat Wagon GLS, 4motion, 1.8T, 5speed, 155000 miles

I have a broken rear passenger side spring that I'm looking to replace. What other parts/pieces should I be considering along with the spring? Money is on the tight side these days so I do not want to replace parts unnecessarily. From what I can tell, the rear shock is fine.

Thanks!

·
PassatWorld Elder
8,244 Posts
If the springs are installed with a rubber spacer between the spring and perch area, with that age and miles, the rubber spacer probably is all cracked. That would be good item to replace, otherwise the noise might be come from the springs rebounding while going down the road.
Any other bushings on the control arms that may be compromised causing loose or arms that aren't secure.

·
PassatWorld Elder
27,961 Posts
Check the upper mounts. I just replaced mine, but the old ones were still good. I have seen a few A6 that had bad rear mounts and they made a knocking sound. The lower perch rubber packing and all bushings also have held up well, but we rarely see salted roads down here.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.