Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new here but not new to wrenching. I picked up a 07 Passat BPY 2.0T with some known issues involving oil pressure. Currently weighing my options on how I want to get it reliable again.

The easiest way is probably to replace the head, oil pump, etc etc on my BPY engine. the result of which would just be a BPY engine though, and all the inherent faults that lie within it. That's why I am considering swapping a different engine in.

I came across a thread where a 2.5 5-cyl was swapped in successfully. That is an option, but as far as I can tell to make sure it all works you also need to run the gauge cluster from the MKV. Without a seamless OEM look on the inside it's a bit of a deal breaker for me. See this swap here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?8410225-2007-VW-Passat-Engine-Swap-2-5L-for-2-0T

Alternatively I was wondering about the later TSI engines, specifically the 3rd gen EA888. I'm wondering what kind of issues might be involved with a swap of this sort and if anyone else has gone down this road.

My goal for the car is to have a reliable driver. No racing or performance stuff as you can guess by my inclusion of the 5-cyl into my options. Any input you guys can give is appreciated.

Here's the project in question.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
sweet car ,you have the transverse FSI engine I believe...2.0T ,how many miles are on the engine right now? In my opinion you might be forever "chasing the dog" trying to get the/a "seamless" transition.....if the engine is toast after doing some forensics maybe in the long run rebuild or find one (which may be difficult) but this is a good sight to look......the high pressure fuel pump is a weak link but you can upgrade to a roller follower vs the solid cam follower, the oil system is what it is ,just may have to do more preventative maintenance....in the end the swap may create more problems than the fixing of the existing problems but I do love that car!!!!regards,Chief

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.