Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I dropped by the local Walmart tonight to get some cold medicine for the household. We picked up two boxes of Equate Suphedrine -- basically Sudafed. We want to keep one box in our vanity and one in the kid's medicine box. Anyhow, we go to the self-checkout line and scan the boxes, but the machine says we have bought our limit and can't buy the 2nd box!!

What the hell is up with that? Only one box per purchase? Whose the genius who thought that up? It is trivial to buy one box and then start another transaction to buy the 2nd one. :crazy: The clerk came by and overrode it so we could finish checking out. This is over the counter medicine -- if they are worried about minors abusing this stuff, why do they allow even one uncontested sale? And, as I said, the system is stupid anyhow because I can use the self-checkout to buy multiple boxes with consecutive purchases.

I imagine I could have bought a fairly large amount of beer and wine w/o a quibble but, boy, throw in TWO boxes of Sudafed and it's time to call the cops? :roll:

Anyone run into this before and know more about why there is a limit here?

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
It's a new policy of theirs. They found out a lot of the psuedoephedrine used to make crystal meth was being bought in their stores. It's something they chose to do.

·
Registered
771 Posts
A lot of kids are tripping the active ingredient DXM in Robistussin cough syrups. They did a story about it on some news channel. That may have something to do with it.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
^^ yeah ^^ Dateline, or some show like that did a story about kids going after the active ingredient in cold medicine tailored for people with high blood pressure. The story mentioned WalMart and other chains. Once company names are mentioned, PR "rules" dictate some sort of knee-jerk reaction like this (actually, iirc, some stores already had policies in place before the story was produced).

It may not be the best policy, but would you prefer stores "control" their sales of this product like they do cigarettes? They can't just do nothing now, since the issue has been made public. So what're ya gonna do?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
At our local drug store they keep the sudafed behind the counter. You have to ask for it. The meth makers used to buy out stores entire supply till they caught on.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, if they want to take action on this, I would prefer they take meaningful action. As it stands now, Walmart's policy accomplishes next to nothing accept to irritate customers who aren't abusing this kind of stuff. I think the approach not_too_shabby describes is probably more effective. If they want to control certain drugs, put them behind the pharmacy counter and dispense upon request. They could even post a notice in the aisles telling folks where to find their meth starter kits.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Ephedrine, which can be extracted from Sudaphed and other OTC cold medicines is one of the main ingredients in Meth. Went to a training once where some guys had been making meth and the officers found thousands of opened blister packs in the garage. The pictures almost looked fake. BTW can you just seen some guy sitting the garage popping all those packs. :weirdo:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You guys need to see the movie SPUN with Mickey Rourke as the Cook.

Click the link on the bottom left of the page to watch the trailer at the above site.

Make sure you get the Un-Rated version if you rent it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts