Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any OSX experts in here?

Yesterday we switched from Outlook classic to Entourage (exchange server 2003) on OSX. Since then, a new login option appeared, called 'other'.

I can't find anything online to remove that option. I found tons of options on how to enable root user (it's off ATM). Windows sharing is off.

Last thing I need is someone logging into my system.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
as long as telnet and ssh are not enabled, nobody (not even you) is logging into your system from outside.

Does this 'new user' show up at the login screen? I don't have my system in front of me right now, but if you are the only user you can have it automatically log you in and not go to the login screen at all. Then you wouldn't see the other user.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I use Entourage and never had an "other" account created. I do not use it with an Exchange server, maybe that's the origin? Is this a login in Entourage (for Exchange) or an OS login in your system panel? If the latter, I'd delete the user and see if you suffer any ill effects in Entourage. Good luck, Entourage has been the only piece of software to ever hang my PowerMac G5.

Do not enable root, ever. In fact, I never login has an admin unless I'm installing software, and you have to be an admin to even "sudo" to root. I have my personal login as a normal user, and another login for admin. Just like hotani said, without ssh nobody can get to your machine. In Panther, my sharing is setup like this

Personal File Sharing (afp) - on
Windows Sharing (smb) - on
Personal Web Sharing (webdav) - off
Remote login (ssh) - off
Ftp Access (ftp) - off
Apple Remote Desktop - off
Remote Apple Events - off
Printer Sharing - on

I sincerely doubt anyone can take on your computer with SMB, so if you need to share files, it's safe.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Login to system. It just appeared there.

Screen shot I found.

I did some research and found out that user is created when 'enable root user' is turned on in NetInfo Manager. So I went in and it was off!

Loged off/on and it was still there. Kept searching.

Then I found a post stating that users stay in the users list in the NetINfo manager and to delete old ones...ok. So I went in and there was a user by the name root. I deleted him!

Sometimes I get in over my head...

Upon reboot, well, there was no reboot, just spinning and spinning. I started running the utilities (option at startup??) and left it trying to repair the login permissions.

Sigh! Let's see what happens tommorrow morning.

·
Never forgets
2,380 Posts
OS X requires the existence of root to function normally. Enable root user simply means you activate the ability to login as root.

Your best bet is to reinstall (archive and install) of your OS. Then use migration assistant to import the needed users and applications.

You can undo what you did in single user mode, but I recommended against this. The reinstall is the easier and safer method.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
You can set it to require a typed-in login/password as opposed to selecting one from a list. That will make it so that you won't see the "Other..." item :)

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I came in this morning and it was still trying to repair itself. Decided to put the dvd in and let it reinstall. Pretty intelligent, it asked if I'd like to keep my files and just reinstall the OS, well Ya!

30 minutes later, I'm back in business.

Why couldn't my PC problem last week have been solved so easilly?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts