Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
I was chef at a brewpub in carbondale illinois. We had ostrich burgers and Ostrich "Filets (steaks) VERY Tasty 8) and very LOW FAT....

mmmmmm try it, you'll like it! :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I've had ostrich steaks, and think they are great. :thumbup: As Dan said, very low fat, and tasty.

Burgers are burgers though, and are thereby covered by the "grinder" rule. :thumbdow:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have to disagree with the posts above.

I haven't tried the ostrich steaks, but I had the burgers once. The problem is that ostrich meat is so lean that when you cook it, it dries out and becomes pretty chewy.

In its defense, it does taste like red meat, but for the money, I'd probably stick with the burgers.

just my .02

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I had it once. in germany (frankfurt) at a fake australian restaurant (weird, huh?)

it was a combo of ostrich, crocodile and emu. maybe 1 other thing, I forget.. ;)

fwiw, the ostrich was the best of them.

edit: kangaroo was the 4th item. it was stringy and chewy - not good at all.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
If cooked correctly crocodile/alligator is really yummy, if done wrong it is absolutely disgusting. There is no middle ground on that one. Never had emu though.

For me, I have one rule on food: If it moves I'l likely eat it. :)

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
I've had ostrich burgers as well. I like them. While they tend to be a bit dry (due to the fact that there really isnt any fat to moisten it), they are actually quite tasty. I've made them by mixing a very healthy helping of diced onion & garlic. That helps to moisten them as well.
I've had alligator meat fried as well as in gumbo. Try imagining a cross between chicken, calamari, & scallops. Tasty. Jeff is right though... its eitehr good or sucks. I've had them noth ways.

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
They are very tasty if cooked right. You need to add flavor to them.

Try Bison and alligator. VERY TASTY!! :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts