Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
1,393 Posts
Not to be a wet blanket but Oprah didn't give cars to her audience - Pontiac did. It clearly says the cars were donated by Pontiac and they clearly see the marketing advantage to this. The cars retail value is $28000 each which means they probably cost GM $22000 to manufacture. Multiply that by 260 audience members and it cost GM a little less than 6 million bucks to do this. Now figure that the cost of a 30 second commercial during the Oprah show probably costs somewhere around 100k, and multiply the amount of time that this took on the show - my guess is 10 minutes - and you can see where this was purely a good business decision. They get 20 million dollars worth of advertising plus an untold amount of good will all for the price of 6 million bucks.

I'm not a huge fan of people getting credit for giving like this when it clearly has only a business purpose. It is what it is - if they had really wanted to do something charitable, then why not give the 260 cars to folks who really need them rather than a bunch of middle class housewives.

Its okay to admire Oprah for her business acumen and to admire GM for being smart enough to see a phenomenal business opportunity and take advantage. Its even okay to admire each for actual charitable contributions but let's not mistake this for that.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Oprah has her connections and it's nice to see both her and Pontiac doing a good deed -- reading the Yahoo news article, all of the audience members were selected due to their dire need for replacing their cars.

I must admit the Pontiac G6 (sounds like a Mac computer) is a decent car, eventhough I never liked Pontiacs. And that foldaway panorama roof is a cool feature -- having Oprah sit on those folded panels is a testiment on the durability of that feature (especially from GM), I'm not saying Oprah is fat (she looks great there) but any new feature that's new and unproven for an American carmaker makes me weary.

When I first heard of this I was hoping she would give away a more sensible and political correct car, like say a Toyota Prius (but that car has a year waiting list in my area) but anyways a nice deed and hopefully Pontiac will get some positive press.

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Very well said!

00Psst said:
Not to be a wet blanket but Oprah didn't give cars to her audience - Pontiac did. It clearly says the cars were donated by Pontiac and they clearly see the marketing advantage to this. The cars retail value is $28000 each which means they probably cost GM $22000 to manufacture. Multiply that by 260 audience members and it cost GM a little less than 6 million bucks to do this. Now figure that the cost of a 30 second commercial during the Oprah show probably costs somewhere around 100k, and multiply the amount of time that this took on the show - my guess is 10 minutes - and you can see where this was purely a good business decision. They get 20 million dollars worth of advertising plus an untold amount of good will all for the price of 6 million bucks.

I'm not a huge fan of people getting credit for giving like this when it clearly has only a business purpose. It is what it is - if they had really wanted to do something charitable, then why not give the 260 cars to folks who really need them rather than a bunch of middle class housewives.

Its okay to admire Oprah for her business acumen and to admire GM for being smart enough to see a phenomenal business opportunity and take advantage. Its even okay to admire each for actual charitable contributions but let's not mistake this for that.

·
Registered
4,531 Posts
more than 10 minutes. it was the whole show. So yeah, that was a bargain. They had TONS of random shots of the thing and Oprah stated the car's name no fewer than 170 times :p. Pump up sales and ratings, a great business move.

·
Registered
424 Posts
The Blue Blur said:
more than 10 minutes. it was the whole show. So yeah, that was a bargain. They had TONS of random shots of the thing and Oprah stated the car's name no fewer than 170 times :p. Pump up sales and ratings, a great business move.
AND - all the news coverage that this show got - the on-air time for that car must have been compounded quite alot.

Like Rick Ricardo would say, "issa publicity stunt, Lucy!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.