Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i am looking to get an amp for my 12" Infinity Kappa 12.1 sub. I will have it in a sealed box. Do you know anything about those amps?Pros/cons?
Any other amp i should consider?
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
They're great, cheap amps, and can take quite a beating. They're pretty clean and live up to its power rating from what I've read. :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
You could certainly do a lot worse. You shoudl be very happy with the amp but I have one question. Why could you possibly need an amp that QUADRUPLES the speakers RMS power handling? :???:

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys, thanks for your replies.
Paul, the JBL is rated at 600W at 4 ohm. The sub is at 350W RMS. It peaks way higher than that. But i'm still debating if i shall get the second sub so expansion of the system is another considerent for this amp. :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Just fine. The amount power an amp puts out isn't what determines how it will handle multiple woofers. I've seen the old Orion 225 HCCA run 16 subs before and that was "only" a 400 watt amp.

·
Registered
109 Posts
yeah, but that's probably a high current amp...I have some amps in my car that are "only 50X2" watts, but they will take down 152 amps......at 13.8V and 75% efficiency that's a little shy of 1600 watts, not to mention I have two of them on my 10 8's. So that's like 320 watts per 8, and I dont think Image nessecarily recommends that.

As far as power goes, I tell all my customers the more the merrier....if there is one single thing you can do to your stereo to make it sound better it would be add more power (assuming it is still clean power and the rest of your stereo is up to par). If you want the 1200.1 I'd say go for it for sure...At least you know you wont be running that amp into the ground with one sub on it, and it will sound great...and then if you add another later you'll still be doing fine...

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
Right, but if the 600.1 will push the subs to their limit, why spend the money for a bigger amp. I agree that loads of power is great, but it's not needed in this case. Power is like beer, know when to say when. If anything , I'd add more subs than power. More subs with less power is ALWAYS louder, and consequently better sounding due to the decreased Xmax needed for a given volume level, and more cost effective than adding more power.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I disagree. If more subs with less power is "ALWAYS" louder, then why do the spl guys have about 6 subs and 4 amps per woofer, rather than 6 amps and 4 woofers per amp. I understand that there are certain circumstances where each of our opinions is correct, but in the end they are still opinions, and there is no definitive answer.

I still say go for the 1200.1, even if the gain is turned all the way down, because you will not be stressing the amp, the sub will have adequate power, and you'll have more headroom than you ever dreamed you needed, which will in turn make the stereo much more dynamic. Plus, later down the line you can add a second sub and still be running just fine. Besides, that subwoofer has a 1400 watt peak power handling, so you shouldnt worry about blowing the sub from having too much power with this amp, and having an amp like this will keep the sub from distorting due to a lack of power...it's the best of both worlds. Furthermore, that sub has a single 4 ohm voice coil and according to the box the 4 ohm power output of that amp is 600X1. You can almost always safely double the rms power handling of a subwoofer (assuming you arent beating down on it 24/7), and this amplifier will almost be doing that at 4 ohms. The nice thing will be that when you add a second subwoofer you will drop the ohm load to 2 ohms and then the amp will put out 1200X1 at 2 ohms, or so the specs say. This will give you the same power/sub ratio you had with 1 sub and you will still have lots of power in reserve.

All of that aside though, do we really think this amp is truly putting out 1200 watts at 2 ohms??? If it is, then great, if not, then who really cares either because this subwoofer setup doesnt actually need 1200 watts, so buying a subwoofer amp that advertises it will do 1200 watts is like insurance that it will do at least 600 cleanly, and so this outta work out perfect.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
I'm not talking about situations like that. Say you have 1 sub with 500 watts. You have enough money to upgrade the amp or add a second sub. Which will be louder? The dual sub setup. Assuming the power output of the amp didn't go up (just to make my point) the dual sub setup would be louder even though each sub is getting half the power that the single sub was seeing.

If he was listening to a lot of jazz or classical that actually had some dynamic range to worry about I'd agree with you. Most modern music has so little dynamics range the extra power likely won't help. If he can afford the 1200.1 go for it, you can always get better subs later, but don't mislead him thinking it will sound any better or get any louder since the 600.1, even though it will only do 300 into a 4 ohm load, willpush it to it's Xmax.

The 1200.1 is pretty conservatively rated and will easily exceed rated power, by almot 200 watts in most cases.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WOW guys, now you got me thinking :lol:
I didn't even get a chance to listen to a similar system to the one i want to build. Once i do that i'll probably be able to take a decision.
Thanks for your advices :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
Karmann_16v
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing