Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
3,088 Posts
I had a slight issue with the bar rubbing against the AC piping. I just put a piece of rubber hose between them to avoid rubbing. My aftermarket battery also needed a little bit of the plastic shaved off of its bottom in order for the bar to fit (it had an extra bit of plastic going around its perimeter). I don't think that would be an issue with a stock battery.

· Registered
84 Posts
that is a great price. It uses the OEM (AUDI/VW) brackets that bolt on top of the strut towers. Make sure you do not over torque the bolts cause they thread into the Aluminium cups that mount the "UCA" and the Strut. I had to modify the bar itself which is made by Pure MS to clear my AC lines so if you are up to it it can be modified. It helped stiffen up my lowered B5. Originally I thought I would have to get a different strut/spring setup but the bar strenghten things up enough that I love my car again. On a side note the OEM bar also has an attachment point in the middle of the bar where this particular bar does not have one and to make this particular bar technically perfect it should be triangulated. Sorry for going on and on.

· needs more cowbell
5,747 Posts
sorry for the OT...that's a good price for the pureMS bar, i paid $70 for a used A6 setup

can anyone clarify if how the A6 bar is installed. i had a lot of trouble installing it with the tapered side up, but was able to much more easily instally it with the tapered end down.

· Registered
5,586 Posts
modifiedA4 said:
fyi, it has happened to many street, lowered A4s. Ive seen it in person.
The fun part was trying to get the strut bar on after the towers had caved in a bit and broken the firewall . . . .

Had to leave the car on stands for a few days and then used a screwdriver to get one of the holes aligned. Huge PITA.

The holes were initially off by 1 cm on that vehicle . . . H&R coils, 24.5" ground to fender

Dave

· Registered
3,450 Posts
crew217 said:
The fun part was trying to get the strut bar on after the towers had caved in a bit and broken the firewall . . . .

Had to leave the car on stands for a few days and then used a screwdriver to get one of the holes aligned. Huge PITA.

The holes were initially off by 1 cm on that vehicle . . . H&R coils, 24.5" ground to fender

Dave
Heh, I can totally imagine that. ouch.

I think in a perfect world, installing a strut tower bar with the car jack stands is the way to go. of course you can never unbolt the bar after that :)

· What time is Matlock on?
16,505 Posts
Have fun routing that thing!!! Ya got a great deal too......it took me forever to make it route right under, over and around the components between towers. Fun Fun.

· What time is Matlock on?
16,505 Posts
modifiedA4 said:
its really not that bad. if you pass it through from the driver's side its easy.
Well it's all relative...I did it at night, poor lighting, etc....set myself up for a PITA job, so running it for me was the hard part.

· Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Put the stress bar in today. Not too bad on my '03 GLS. I removed the battery first to check the drain hole for obstruction (and remove the rubber grommet), that made for easy access to remove all ties and move the positive and negative battery cables around. I ended up putting a bend (about 60 degrees) in the negative ground lug, I needed to rotate the lug to clear the bar and it would hit the battery tie down bolt. With the bend, it clears the bolt and I do not have to remove the battery tie down.

Thanks to everyone for advice and tips on this mod.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.