Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a completely stock 2000 Black B5 1.8t 5-spd and I think I've planned out every mod that I would like to do on my it. If you guys have a couple of minutes please feel free to give my your thoughts:
H&R oe sports
Bilstein Sport
FLIK - WASP-B 18x7.5 33mm offset (is that a problem?)
http://www.edgeracing.com/product/wheel/detail.php?item_number=1392
Yoko AVS100's
(plan on painting the calipers red with the kit from Tire Rack)
Supersprint 2.5" exhaust
Tinted or clear Corners
and a chrome stripped badgeless grille from ECstyling
http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63800
I would like to eventially get an additional chipped ECU, APR or Neuspeed. A 35% tint is also being considered.
In my opinion it should look pretty clean, the polished lip on black rims should smooth out the bling of the grille.
I would love to hear what you think, thanks.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
Hmmm 18's with 35mm offset is just about right. I doubt you will have any problems since you're choosing OE Sports which don't drop much anyway.

Have you seen what black wheels look like on a black car? Not my fav. look but here's an example.

"The Duke" himself...

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the chrome grille and exhaust tips these wheels would look nice on a black car. The polished lip really does make a difference in my opinion.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
i think they would look good:

blakwag's car on flik abyss's

The only thing I'm unsure about is the chrome grille. there's something to be said about keeping the body of a B5 unchromed.

enjoytheview and steelerb also have nice black on black rides, albeit in 5.5 styling.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There's no harm in seeing what it would come out as. Considering the grille could be replaced with something more conservative in the future I would like to try the chrome. I like the look of chrome B5.5 badgeless grilles. Kinda like the side mirrors on Julian's car, they are subtle but they really class it up IMHO. And as far as the wheels, I think the polished lip and red calipers will allow me to get away with it.

I was also wondering if H&R OE Sports are the same as the 1BE springs? And are there other setups wich will let me keep from rubbing and overly harsh ride? I'm looking for up to 1-1.2 inch drop along with a tight feel at higher speeds and no chance of losing my fillings on a side road.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If your ECU code ends in BH I have an APR 91 oct. chip that isn't doing me a whole lot of good right now. My turbo just got too damn big :lol:. If you can use it make me an offer, just had it installed in oct. paid $500. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Go with the tinted sides. I but them on my black 98 and theylook wicked!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vista_cruiser said:
If your ECU code ends in BH I have an APR 91 oct. chip that isn't doing me a whole lot of good right now. My turbo just got too damn big :lol:. If you can use it make me an offer, just had it installed in oct. paid $500. Let me know.
In WI we don't have 91oct. , 93 is common. Would I need new programming for the chip?

·
Another Rollininstyle2004 teaser
13,138 Posts
julianfang said:
there's something to be said about keeping the body of a B5 unchromed.
Coming from the man with every chrome part available for the B5.5 other then rims :lol:
I am not totaly sure about Black Wheels on a Black car i have considered it myself, but am a little uneasy. I think they would have to be "black" like blackwags not gunmetal or anthricite on a black car thoose would just look like a shade off.
Just My Opinion

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
The whole black wheel thing is all opinion.....if you think it looks good go for it.

I've never been into black wheels, but they don't seem as horrible as I always thought they are when I see them on pimped out :b5:'s

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Kezho, I live down in Chicago and all we have is 93oct. also, however I travel all over the country and it is not always gauranteed that you will be able to find 93oct. fuel. When I purchased the chip I was told that the 93oct. program is very octaine specific and that I would probably get a lot of knocking if I were to use 91 w/ 93oct. program. However the octaine rating on the chip is a minimum oct. so it is completly safe to use 93oct. fuel. Email me if you have any more questions about anything my email is [email protected]. Also there is nothing wrong with Black car/ balck wheel combo, however if you are going to go that route I would suggest keeping it as monochromatic as possable, tint taillights, markers, clear corners, ect. and be very careful/conservative with the introduction of chrome/polished aluminium on to the car b/c it will stand out considerably more than on most vehicles.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, I really appreciate all of the help. Now that I'm getting some cash back from uncle Sam I should be able to spend some of it on my baby. (At least as much as I've spent on my girlfriend for our anniversary/Valentines day).

·
Registered
418 Posts
The H&R OEs and 1be suspensions only drop .75". The difference between 1be and OE is that OEs are progressive springs. I have the OEs and they are pretty comfortable but a world of a difference from stock. Not to sure you would like the look of a .75" drop with 18" wheels.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
passnatl said:
The H&R OEs and 1be suspensions only drop .75". The difference between 1be and OE is that OEs are progressive springs. I have the OEs and they are pretty comfortable but a world of a difference from stock. Not to sure you would like the look of a .75" drop with 18" wheels.
Would you recommend the H&R sports with the above setup?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts