Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm looking at adding a bit to my sound system and I'm venturing into the area I'm least familiar with, EQ's.

Right now I have a JL Audio 500/5 with a 10w3v2, two pairs of BA PRO6.5's wired in parallel to 1.5 ohms with one set coax mounted in kickpanels and the other set with just the midbass driver in the door. Seperate crossovers for each. I also have a pair of BA NX67's in the back doors. I'm running a Kenwood KDC-MP919. Yeah I know not the greatest sounding radio but I like the way it looks plus it hooks up to my music keg.

Here's what I'm looking for: I'd like to be able to adjust time alignment if possible, have the flexability of a parametric EQ, line driver, and not looking for an indash piece. Something that will allow me to keep my fader and sub control from the radio and work in unison with that. What I'm thinking about doing is building this into my rear seat since I have no more room in the trunk with the rest of my equipment. This is probably my weakest area of all of car audio knowledge so any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
I'm assuming you are using the crossovers for the 6.5s that came with them, correct? If so, first thing I'd do is call BA and buy the crossovers for the 6.5.3 setup. As it stangs you are going to have massive phase issues since the door AND kick panel mids are playing the same freq. range.

Unless you add another amp dedicated to either the kick panels or door speakers I wouldn't suggest time alignment because if you align the left side (door and kicks) together it will always be off.

Somthing like and Audio COntrol DQX would be sweet. it won't eq the rears, not that you need to anyway) but it WILL do the 3-way crossover setup you need AND give you a 31 band 1/3 octave graphic eq.

You don't need a line driver. It will lower the noise floor a bit, but unless you're competing and losing points in "absense of noise" it's not worth it.

Your current HU is fine.

I think that's it. Whew! :shock:

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
The eqs is nice, but for the slight increase in cost you can get the DQX which blows the EQS out of the water. The DQX has more bands of eq AND a 3-way crossover which is what you'll need when you add an amp dedicated to the midbasses.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With the DQX will I be able to keep fader/sub level control through my radio? I guess my main priority with an EQ is the ability to keep my sub/fader control, and then go from there. A DSP would be awesome, time alignment would be great, but I guess I just want to get down and dirty and do what I can to get the best sound out of my car.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
Yes, you can keep your fader. The first thing you need to do though is get a separate amp for the door mounted midbasses and use the dqx to give you the appropriate bandpass signal for them. Ideally the DQX will eq the kick panel, midbasses and subs. I wouldn't worry about eq'ing the rears. The DQX also has time alignment, but it won't do you any good until you add a separate amp for the door midbasses since they need to be delayed differently than the kicks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 8 of 8 Posts