Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/asiapcf/03/13/afghan.binladen.hunt/index.html

KABUL, Afghanistan -- The U.S. military has announced a big new operation across southern and eastern Afghanistan, with the aim of destroying al Qaeda and Taliban infrastructure.

The operation, dubbed "Mountain Storm" comes as U.S. forces intensify their hunt for Osama bin Laden and his top deputies, who are believed hiding in the mountainous border area between Afghanistan and Pakistan.

The operation, however, is "about more than one person," according to U.S. military spokesman Lt. Col. Bryan Hilferty.

He said American forces are confident they will eventually catch the al Qaeda leader, but not necessarily during the new operation.

"Mountain Storm" officially begins Sunday and is open-ended, Hilferty said.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

errr, uhm, sounds a bit like cricket to me..

;)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
linux-works said:

;)
how many times is this topic going to be brought up again? every time CNN or some other news outlet puts out an article regarding bin Laden and/or the Afghanistan campaign.

As I wrote here (http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71836) why is this issue being so politicized? Do you want him found and prosecuted or not?

·
0 Posts
Well think of it this way best scenario they find him, in the air condition in the mountain base (did i say that out loud) or Worst case they don't and he give one of his patented we will never stop the pursuit of peace speeches! :wink:

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Medrosje said:
linux-works said:

;)
how many times is this topic going to be brought up again? every time CNN or some other news outlet puts out an article regarding bin Laden and/or the Afghanistan campaign.

As I wrote here (http://www.clubb5.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=71836) why is this issue being so politicized? Do you want him found and prosecuted or not?
no one questions the 'goodness' of capturing ubl. but we should have been doing that ALL ALONG and not taking a detour via iraq.

that's the real point of why so many of us are angry at bush. he couldn't get results from finding ubl so he shifted us toward iraq, a more easy target and win for us. now that iraq has been milked for almost all its worth, its time to go back to ubl hunting.

but that middle step was totally unnecessary. its good the fight to get ubl is back on again. but ever hear of the phrase 'a day late and a dollar short' ? that sums up the sentiment here, I think.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
psm0110 said:
linux-works said:
no one questions the 'goodness' of capturing ubl. but we should have been doing that ALL ALONG and not taking a detour via iraq.
Okay, I've officially had it! Ferchrissakes I sat thru #[email protected]%$ "WMD" all last year - now its gonna be "UBL"? Gah!!! Is typing Usama/Osama really so tough?
y.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I heard the military refers to him as UBL. seems an easy thing to type, I guess.

(why does a set of letters bug you? wow..)

WTF?

;)

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
linux-works said:
Medrosje said:
linux-works said:

;)

that's the real point of why so many of us are angry at bush. he couldn't get results from finding ubl so he shifted us toward iraq, a more easy target and win for us. now that iraq has been milked for almost all its worth, its time to go back to ubl hunting.

but that middle step was totally unnecessary. its good the fight to get ubl is back on again. but ever hear of the phrase 'a day late and a dollar short' ? that sums up the sentiment here, I think.
well, the Iraq situation as a detour is simply an opinion on your part. you're angry at bush just because he's bush, and in some ways, i'm with you, but not totally. do i think we could have dedicated more resources to the Afghanistan campaign, yes. do i think we had a legitimite point to go to Iraq, yes AND no. do i think we've been hunting bin Laden down when it makes sense to, yes. i don't think Afghanistan is much like new mexico, where it's a nice 80-90 degrees all the time. it's a nasty place from what i've read, so does it make sense to have a full force there in harsh times, i don't think so. does it make sense to be keeping an eye in the sky along with a focused set of people on the ground, yes, and i think and hope we have been doing that.

again, i simply think you're trying to politicize something for the sake of complaining about bush.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Damned if you do, damned if you dont...

Ok, were starting a huge mission to capture bin-laden

Dems: AHA!! JUST IN TIME FOR THE ELECTION!! And just in time to payback your oil buddies before the election!! muhuhuhu were so smart

Ok, were waiting to start this huge operation until after the election.

Dems: AHA!! you know you wont find him, and dont want the results to hurt the election. And you are putting the entire country at risk of attack by upsetting the natives in that area!! you are un-american!! you dont want to capture Bin-laden because you are secret buddies with him!!! aaaahhhhhh haaa (ask the exposed conspiracists on this forum about that one)

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Medrosje said:
linux-works said:
Medrosje said:
linux-works said:

;)

well, the Iraq situation as a detour is simply an opinion on your part. you're angry at bush just because he's bush, and in some ways, i'm with you, but not totally. do i think we could have dedicated more resources to the Afghanistan campaign, yes. do i think we had a legitimite point to go to Iraq, yes AND no. do i think we've been hunting bin Laden down when it makes sense to, yes. i don't think Afghanistan is much like new mexico, where it's a nice 80-90 degrees all the time. it's a nasty place from what i've read, so does it make sense to have a full force there in harsh times, i don't think so. does it make sense to be keeping an eye in the sky along with a focused set of people on the ground, yes, and i think and hope we have been doing that.

again, i simply think you're trying to politicize something for the sake of complaining about bush.
We may not agree be able to agree on which baseball team is better, but I'm with you on this.

If AlQueda is responsible for the bombings in Spain, this revitalized effort my just be [partially] the result of some international support (and even pressure?).

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
No doubt that 99.99% of people theorizing about the political gains hate Bush. They hate bush because bush seems to have luck on his side. The more they hate Bush and hope he falters, the better Bush does.

On hunting UBL and the Qaeda / remnants of Taliban, what might be thoughts of political gain to the opposition could be and very well be military tactics. UBL and his team managed to escape during the early days of the Afghanistan operation. We could not have sealed the sprawling border of Afghanistan. Besides, the harsh winter conditions and rugged terrain is just too much for a foot soldier to cover.

By letting some time pass (hence the diversion to Iraq in some people's mind), the military is able to monitor the traffic and gather more intelligence. Also, winning the confidence and trust of the various warlords in the area will help us get UBL.

I hope we get him dead or alive between now and October 31st :wink: sooner the better.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
linux-works said:
Medrosje said:
linux-works said:

;)

With all due respect, linux, your posts provide perfect examples of someone that doesn’t know what they’re talking about. You’ve read an article and somehow created your own false assumptions and conclusions from it. Do you have any idea how many different operations have taken place since the Afghan campaign began? At least a dozen or so operations in Afghanistan have been made public since the start of the campaign (as the story you linked to mentioned, the latest to finish was Operation Mountain Blizzard) . At some level they all have the objective of capturing or killing bin Laden and destroying al Qaeda. That’s one of the primary reasons we’re there. The latest operation is just another example of refocusing resources in the region. We constantly re-evaluate and modify our tactics and strategies, just as opposing forces regroup and do the same. The result of these evaluations may very well be a new operation. Regardless of how you or the media may want to frame it, forces have never stopped or lessened the hunt. And despite your opposition to Iraq, we are quite capable of successfully performing simultaneous operations in multiple theaters.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Nobody is saying that Afghanistan has been abandoned, but their is little doubt that some operations in Afghansitan have suffered because of the war in Iraq. Unmanned drones come to mind. They have been very important in both Afganistan and Iraq, but which country should be the priority when a certain resource is limited?

This is a Catch 22 situation. Help our soldiers in Iraq, or help find Bin Laden in Afghanistan/Pakistan. Some might argue that we should not be in this situation in the first place.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
ahhh such bs :crazy: :suspicio:

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
All my buddies in Afghanistan haven't been doing anything but sitting around the pool. They're just waiting on the word to go look for Bin Laden right before the election. :roll: :crazy:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts