Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
i bed to differ on performance applications though... i've noticed that on the top end my open air intake vs. OEM box.. likes to continue to redline much easier. :shock:

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If you do not want to buy or make so called CAI, go for drop-in. A side that is cheaper, open cone under the hood have 2 huge minuses.
First: there is NO air pressure under the hood so engine is struggling to suck air. Second: when after all engine succeed to suck some air-that air is hot and therefore low mass, i.e. opposit of what you and your engine needs.
If you opt for open cone, you must make best posible heat shield and you should lay intake snorkel from front of car (grill,bumper) up to that filter.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Cold Air Intakes DO WORK.... if applied properly. For instance, if there is a heat shielding (an effective one! Not some Half past 6 type job :suspicio: ) and if there is an intake tube feeding air directly to the filter. I have ALWAYS installed CAI's on my vehicles and they have definitely improved response! I know that there are many who do not share this opinion and I understand that there are instances where the HP has actually dropped (for instance in my AMG C36, 1.6hp down) but throttle response has always improved. Mind you, on my Mini Cooper S, we saw a +2hp difference with stock exhaust and with the exhaust we are currently developing we are seeing +5hp difference as opposed to the stock filter and developed exhaust.... There must be something in it ... :thumbup:

Cheers
Ram

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
I agree with Iconnx. Some will disagree with me when I tell - go for BMC CDA 85-150 true CAI. And it makes diff both in HP,torque. Drawback is, 250USD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts