Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never noticed this before, so it can't be a "feature", but has anyone else seen this? At (seemingly) random, if I open one of the rear doors, all the doors lock and the alarm arms itself. Everything is fine unless I try to unlock the doors from inside, which sounds the alarm (as it should).

It doesn't always happen, but it seems to happen a few times a week (with fetching the kids from the back seat on a daily basis...child locks active).

Any clues??

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
The one door I have with the child lock is giving me troubles. Sometimes the door will lock/unlock electrically and sometimes it won't. I also have an issue when setting the alarm where the LED on the drivers lock will flash but the horn won't give the confirmation beep until a few minutes later and the interior lights will occasionally flash on while driving.

I think they all are related to the same door (right rear). I checked the wiring into the door at it looks fine. Either it's the door lock or the wiring plugs/harnesses in the right front kick panel.

Here's a question... have your kids ever cranked on the inside door handle trying to get the door open with the child lock active?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's a question... have your kids ever cranked on the inside door handle trying to get the door open with the child lock active?
At least every other ride.

Haven't seen any other anomalies though.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
I'm just wondering if the constant abuse from overtorquing that handle has messed up the lock. Only door I'm having trouble with is because of it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Check the light switch on the door, may be that is faulty. The one that cuases the dome light to come on when the door is opened.

·
Registered
34 Posts
sometimes when i have my car locked, and i try to unlock it, the little thing inside the door lifts up as if the car was unlocked, but the red light is still flashing. when i go to open the door the alarm goes off and i cant start my car or anything. this usually happens in the winter when its cold.
one time i had to leave my car at my friends house because the alarm wouldn't go off and i couldn't leave.
what do you think this problem could be? anyone ever have this happen to them?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
My '98 is currently getting the back right door switch replaced because it wasn't controlling the dome light... car just didn't seem to know if the door was open or closed.

Is everyone's problem with the right-rear door? Maybe this is a common thing...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Darter,

Can you describe the situation a little more clearly?

Is it this situation?: You remotely unlock all the doors, as you approach the car you only open the rear door. At this point the doors relock and the alarm is armed again.

I would think you're a victim of timing vs odd VW Queertrons zapping your system.

What I believe is that your door sensor isn't recognizing that any doors opened and is relocking and rearming your system after a certain period of time.

Try a test:

1. Remotely unlock the car and open one rear side door.
2. Wait.

3. If the doors relock and rearm, you've found the side with the bad microswitch. There are writeups throughout the forum on how to fix this.

Good Luck!

Alex

Edit for Soapbox Statement: Please tell your rear seat passengers to quit slamming the doors! They not only foul up the microswitches and soldered contact points, but also (personal belief) increase the chance of window regulator clip failure.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's not the 30-second auto re-arm. I can walk up to the car with it unlocked overnight and it will do this.

Update: this morning I first opened the trunk and it did this too. Still hasn't happened with either front door though.

BTW, my rear-seat occupants are three...they don't open or close the doors. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts